Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

nokia 6300 pay and go as modem for pc?

recent upgrade to nokia 6300 can it be used with 3g sim card to access internet using phone as modem, modem software was included, does o2 support this and how do i set it up? thanks
Anonymous

it may be possible, but not supported by O2. hopefully someone on here can help you
Anonymous

You cant teather to get a web connection I am affraid, its uncommon in the UK, mainly in north america you will find people doing it (use to live in Toronto and knew people that use to use their phones)
Anonymous

Absolute nonsense! Of course you can tether a phone as a modem in the UK, have been doing it for years.

However, the PAYG web bolt on forbids tethering (it will work but you are not supposed to). You would need to either get a contract which supports tethering or just get a USB broadband (as the 6300 is not 3G)
Anonymous

Not saying some phones wont work, but most do not work without doing something you shouldnt, I believe the iPhone is going to make it possible to use it as a modem in its 3.0 update which makes sense as its unltd internet. But it IS uncommon in the UK, most dont even know how to do it, and with the offers with MBB you dont nead to use your phone as a modem
Anonymous

Not saying some phones wont work, but most do not work without doing something you shouldnt, I believe the iPhone is going to make it possible to use it as a modem in its 3.0 update which makes sense as its unltd internet. But it IS uncommon in the UK, most dont even know how to do it, and with the offers with MBB you dont nead to use your phone as a modem

O2 and the other networks have been selling bolt-ons etc for tethered browsing for years. I was doing it 5 years ago with a dial-up GSM connection. So, whilst you may not have experienced it, it is definitely well known, in fact well enough known to be specifically excluded from the PAYG bolt-on.
Highlighted
Anonymous

send me a link from o2 that is current that will allow you to teather using a bolt on, I am not saying its never been done, but with the deals with mobile broadband witch loodks like a glorified usb memory stick, why would you want to use your phone?