Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new phone AND new sim

zippy1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a new phone and as it takes a nano sim the sim card from my old phone doesn't fit, and so I also have a new sim.

What nobody seems to be able to tell me (not even O2) is whether I put the new sim into the new phone BEFORE I turn it on for the first time and go through the new phone setup process and THEN do a sim swap, or is there some other way to do it ?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

It makes no differance as soon as the swap goes through your number will be associated with the new sim.

In the past I have started setup of new phone and then started the sim swap on old handset with no issue

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

the new sim should be in the new handset and the sim swap initiated with the old handset and sim as it should send a code to the old sim / phone to prove ownership

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 10

zippy1
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks for the reply but that doesn't answer the question of whether I insert the new sim and switch on the new phone and go through its setup BEFORE I try to do the sim swap ?

Message 3 of 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

It makes no differance as soon as the swap goes through your number will be associated with the new sim.

In the past I have started setup of new phone and then started the sim swap on old handset with no issue

Apple Watch series 4

Message 4 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@zippy1 I don't know what new phone you have, but if it's an Android phone you don't need a sim in the phone to set it up. All you need is a WiFi connection and your Gmail details. You need the sim inserted to set up the network APN, but the phone setup itself is a different issue. I'm not an Apple person, so I don't know if the same holds true for iPhones.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27669 Solutions
Any phone can be set up with or without a sim in it.
Just dismiss the no sim inserted warnings and carry on.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 10

zippy1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks for the replies - all done now - as suggested it really doesn't matter which way you do it - I inserted the new sim, then ran setup (Windows phone) then followed the O2 online process for swapping sims - despite the 'may be 24 hours' warnings the swap was done within a couple of minutes.

Now I just have to get used to some of Microsofts weird ways after many years of Android..

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27669 Solutions
Good to hear mate slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have bought a new phone that takes a nano sim, i have a standard sim how do i replace the sim and keep my number?

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27669 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have bought a new phone that takes a nano sim, i have a standard sim how do i replace the sim and keep my number?

Any o2 shop will swap it for free.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10