Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

new 12 month upgrade advertising - anyone explain it?

Hello,
Can anyone explain the current advert that O2 stores are running about getting a new phone every 12 months for existing customers. Both the stores and customer service seem very coy about explaining this policy and there is not really anything about it on the internet.
I wanted to ask a simple question of "does that mean I can upgrade my phone even though I still have 2 months left of my 24 month contract? " and no -one could answer me.
thats how the advert reads and perhaps the advertising standards agency needs to have alook at that advert if thats not the case as its seriously misleading....
unless I am missing something...
anyone ?
Anonymous

Re: new 12 month upgrade advertising - anyone explain it?

Have a look on the O2 website , it seems quite clear to me. When you upgrade, you can choose a twelve month contract which is the same price as an 18 month contract would be for new customers. It doesn't mean you can upgrade early though (it doesn't absolve you of your existing commitment) and if you want cheaper you can still commit to a longer contract.
Nothing to stop you have a cheeky try at an early upgrade though!
Topics: 296
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

The new 12 month means you can move to a 12 month contract but with a higher handset price.
I understand it to mean that at the end of your normal contract period (existing customer) you can then move on to a 12 month contract or at your early upgrade date depending on your level.
That is how I read it
Snap prking
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

Seems clear enough to me, I can't imagine the ASA would find anything wrong:
http://www.o2.co.uk/explore
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Anonymous

mis-understood this advert to.got another 10 months left on my 24 month contract but wanted to upgrade.o2 said no i have to wait or pay off remainder of contract.oh well stook with my crappy mobile for a bit yet.would have thought it would have been better for them to have me on a new 24 month contract at double my exsisting contract price though. Smiley Wink
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

mis-understood this advert to.got another 10 months left on my 24 month contract but wanted to upgrade.o2 said no i have to wait or pay off remainder of contract.oh well stook with my crappy mobile for a bit yet.would have thought it would have been better for them to have me on a new 24 month contract at double my exsisting contract price though. Smiley Wink

The advert clearly says this applies to a new 12 month contract, you can't expect them to wipe away your existing contract.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Topics: 25
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

mis-understood this advert to.got another 10 months left on my 24 month contract but wanted to upgrade.o2 said no i have to wait or pay off remainder of contract.oh well stook with my #### mobile for a bit yet.would have thought it would have been better for them to have me on a new 24 month contract at double my exsisting contract price though. Smiley Wink

but then you'd still be stuck on another 24 plus month contract with a #### mobile phone in 12 months time Smiley Very Happy