Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving sim to different phone

becca2020
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry I'm a bit of a tech noob. I have a samsung galaxy A3 (2016). I got a Huwaii P20 Pro from a friend (without a sim if that makes a difference). I want to know if i can swap the simcard from my current phone over if it'll fit. If so I got told I need some kind of code to unlock it. Can someone explain how this works?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@becca2020 

Yes you can just put your sim in and if the phone is on O2 or unlocked, it will work fine.

If the phone is locked though, you will need to ask the network it is locked to to unlock it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@becca2020 

Yes if it's an O2 or unlocked phone just put your sim in it.

If it's locked to another network, you will need to ask that network to unlock it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

Cleoriff
  • 122820 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @becca2020 

Yes you can swap the sim into the new phone as both take nano sims.

If the Huawei was an O2 phone it shouldn't need unlocking as |O2 haven't locked their phones since 2018.

O2 unlocking guide here if needed Guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card 

If it's from another network and is locked to that network, then your friend will need to get it unlocked for you.

Try the sim in the phone first though to see if it works.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 4