Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

mms on 35 contract 18months

New user so here we go...is it true that on 18month 35 contract mms messages are counted as four ? no idea never used mms till this week but me dear old dad at 84 has bought a new 02 phone and wants some pictures sending across...is it less for 02 to 02...mms? thanks in advance..
Topics: 296
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

4 it is until you use your basic txt allowance then it costs
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Anonymous

yeah each mms takes 4 outa your allowance but its not cheaper for o2o2 unless you buy the my family bolt on which you can only buy online and then text, calls and mms are unlimited between 5 o2 people

if you go over your allowance each mms is 25p
Anonymous

Depends on your tariff ...

_

The "4 for 1" has been in place for years, with regard to allocating media messages against your quoted free text message allowance, but ...

Be careful.

I suspect that, in a couple of weeks when my next bill and direct debit is finalised, I'm going to have a row with O2 over mms messages.

It appears that there is a wrinkle with regard to the latest Tariffs, and it relates to "Bolt Ons". Here's the thing.

There is a tiny little phrase in the terms, about this "4 for 1" allocation, and it's this " ... if your calling plan permits ... ". So, what is your Calling Plan? Up to now, I've thought my Calling Plan is the list of charges which will apply, after I have used up any free allowance. But what is the definition of where your Tariff ends, and your Calling Plan begins?

What I'm getting at is this.

All the Tariffs / Calling Plans are discussed, even in the adverts, in headline terms e.g. 600 mins / 500 texts / 512 MB data (this is just an example, the figues don't matter). However, nowadays you are seeing things like 600 mins / Unlimited texts / 512 MB data - note the "Unlimited texts".

So what's the difference? Is there a difference?

I went from an 18 month contract with 600 mins / 500 texts / 512 KB (yes KB, not MB), to a simplicity 20 contract with 600 mins / 1200 texts / + Web Bolt On (unlimited data). In both these contracts the "4 for 1" rate of alllocating mms messages against the free text message allowance applied.

Now I have gone from my Simplicity 20 to a 24 month contract with 600 mins / Unlimited texts / + Web Bolt On.

I've been monitoring my usage online, and was surprised to find I was charged the 25p quoted in my "Calling Plan" for my first media message. For the first time ever, I sent a photo from my phone, thinking it would "cost" me 4 text messages from my "Unlimited" allowance.

So, it appears that the "4 for 1" allocation of mms against my "Unlimited" free text allowance doesn't apply. Why not?

I checked my paperwork, and it seems that my "Unlimited" free texts allowance is not being provided as part of my Tariff, but as a "Bolt On". As a Bolt On, mms messages are excluded from the "4 for 1" policy, and are all immediately chargeable against my "Calling Plan".

So, my ADVERTISED headline "Plan", "Tariff", call it what you like, SHOULD HAVE BEEN shown as:-

600 mins / Zero texts / Zero Data / + Web Bolt On, + Unlimited Texts Bolt On.

Then those exclusions would clearly apply to the Bolt Ons, because the Bolt Ons would have been distinguished from the Tariff items.

BUT THEY WERE NOT ADVERTISED IN THIS WAY

So, you can see. In a couple of weeks I am due to have a big argument with O2, if they charge me for my (now) 2 picture messages.

Be very careful that you understand exactly what you think you signed up to.

_
Anonymous

Re: Depends on your tariff ...

There is a tiny little phrase in the terms, about this "4 for 1" allocation, and it's this " ... if your calling plan permits ... ". So, what is your Calling Plan?

Calling plan just means your tariff bundle. If you don't have a bundled amount of texts, you pay for MMS, as you've discovered.

As a Bolt On, mms messages are excluded from the "4 for 1" policy, and are all immediately chargeable against my "Calling Plan".

You're right in that you can't use unlimited text bolt-on for MMS, and you're also correct that it should be made clear when you sign up that MMS are chargeable, so I sympathise with you.

SV
Anonymous

Re: Depends on your tariff ...

Calling plan just means your tariff bundle. If you don't have a bundled amount of texts, you pay for MMS, as you've discovered.
SV

_

Sorry SV but that's contradictory. If, by "bundle amount of texts" you mean a free allocation of texts, then, putting that back into your first sentence, would read "Calling plan just means your tariff free allocation of texts". In fact it means the exact opposite.

As I first thought, "Calling Plan" means everything which is NOT part of "your tariff bundle".

My reason for posting this is to alert people to the current vogue on O2 for advertising and selling "Unlimited Texts" without saying they would be supplied as part of a Bolt On, and therefore chargeable. I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't realise, because I wasn't informed anywhere until I received the O2 paperwork, 5 days after receiving the phone, that my free allocation of texts was actually zero.

Am I the only one?

_
Anonymous

Does this mean that because my new contract has 500 inclusive texts but I also have the unlimited texts bolt-on, that my MMS will come out of my 500 inclusive texts allowance at 4 for every one MMS, and thereafter I'll be charged?
Anonymous

Does this mean that because my new contract has 500 inclusive texts but I also have the unlimited texts bolt-on, that my MMS will come out of my 500 inclusive texts allowance at 4 for every one MMS, and thereafter I'll be charged?

Yes. that's exactly what I'm getting at. Please check your letter from O2. That was the first place I saw the statement that MMS are excluded from the Unlimited Text Bolt On. Text messages only from the Unlimited Texts Bolt On.

I wonder how many other people don't know this? It's only a recent phenomenon, with the mis-advertising of these Bolt Ons.

_
Anonymous

[ Edited ]
_

I should add that there is no mention of this one the O2 page which introduces these Bolt Ons:-

http://www.o2.co.uk/explore/tariffs/bol ... hlyboltons

_
Anonymous

Yes. that's exactly what I'm getting at. Please check your letter from O2. That was the first place I saw the statement that MMS are excluded from the Unlimited Text Bolt On. Text messages only from the Unlimited Texts Bolt On.
I wonder how many other people don't know this? It's only a recent phenomenon, with the mis-advertising of these Bolt Ons.
_

Thanks for clearing that up.

#### This particular MMS thing doesn't bother me because I'll be lucky to send a couple of MMS a month, let alone 125. #### I have been told, in the last two weeks, that I could keep my unlimited text bolt-on when I upgrade to the iPhone 3GS, then I was told in no uncertain terms that I absolutely could not keep it because it was being discontinued, then I rang them this morning to say that if I couldn't keep it I'd be moving to another network because there'd be no particular reason to stay with O2 if not for the iPhone, and miraculously I'm told, 'of course because you already have it we will not remove it from your tariff unless you request that it's removed'. There appears to be no consistency between O2 staff. It's bad enough that their online support staff who respond to emails tell you differently than the staff who answer calls to customer service, but now it seems it's just pot luck when you ring as well - what you're offered depends on who picks up the phone.