cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

locking my phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

is there any way i can temporarilly lock my daughters account online as punishment for bad behavior

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
You'd probably have to turn off fingerprint activation if you went down that route of pin code.

At 11 years I'd be wanting her to be able to both call out and receive calls in an emergency.

I'd go with the Payg SIM card route.
Message 11 of 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
How does the PAYG route punish then if you still want to have credit on it for her to call you?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Limited credit.

They can use call mum and dad if required, as an example or what's app or viber over wifi.

http://www.08000mumdad.co.uk

Theirs punishing and then theirs not being able to allow contact both ways.
Message 13 of 31

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
At £6.00 for an upto 2 minute call I'm not sure that is punishing the kid at all - Sounds like it's punishing the parents a lot more http://www.08000mumdad.co.uk/Rates.aspx
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's just an avenue Rich and by all means not a suite all resolution.

As a parent too being able to take a call and make a call from a young
Child is paramount is it not.

Which is why I said have a good talk again with the child and if that does not help then a Payg card. Just my choice and not necessarily anyone else's. slight_smile
Message 15 of 31

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's only fair to give all the info with any recommendation.
I wasn't aware of the horrendous costs until I looked so I didn't want the OP to have any nasty surprises.
The original question we are advising on is "how to block the phone" so we have to assume the OP (their choice) doesn't want the phone to work at all, in this case.....

Currently using:
Message 16 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Possibly the OP can clarify if they don't want their daughter to be able to make a call in an emergency.

I appreciate the costs involved in using that service but cost has no bearing in my eyes in the safety of a loved one / minor.
Message 17 of 31

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, I'm sure they will let us know exactly when convenient to them......

Currently using:
Message 18 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

is there any way i can temporarilly lock my daughters account online as punishment for bad behavior

You have been given lots of advice already by those who have forgotten infinitely more about mobile phones than I will ever know.  

But looking at your actual question from a different perspective I note that you do not explain what your daughter's "bad behaviour" was/is or why you feel that some strong punishment is deserved or necessary.  If the behaviour in question relates in some direct way to use of the phone then perhaps limiting her use of it either totally or in part may be an appropriate response.  If however, the bad behaviour is unrelated to phone use I cannot help but wonder if blocking her use of it would be likely to bring about a change of behaviour.  We do not need to know the details - all I am suggesting is that maybe you need to re-consider the whole matter and ask yourself whether the "punishment fits the crime".    I do not doubt that you have your child's best interests at heart and I hope you will be able to resolve the matter satisfactorily for all concerned.

Gerry

Message 19 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and fab to see you back. Lovely well written post there. Great stuff
Message 20 of 31