Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

iphone hidden charges HELP!

I am so confused by all these technical terms.
I'm reading stuff about wifi and clouds/ hotspots and data...

I'm about to buy an iphone and need to know...

- Can i connect to the internet via a wireless network at residential location in the UK or in another country for free?

- I thought that surfing the net creates data download as webpages load??, but I have read in some posts that data is charged for so how can wifi be free? is there a difference between wifi and data?
I often go abroad, and while I rarely use my phone for calls, It would be good to connect to the internet or use the GPS to find my way around.

- will o2 allow me to transfer my account into the name of someone else should I need to (I am trying 2 get a job abroad... this could take 6 months or 18?
Highlighted
Anonymous

1) Free Wi-fi Hotspots and personal home network connections are free. The Cloud is chargeable.

2) Yes, wi-fi downloads data but it's not using o2's GPRS / HSDPA connection to do so. You're tapping into the wi-fi of a fixed broadband high-bandwidth connection (which makes it much faster than an o2 data connection in most cases).

3) You say you are going to buy an iPhone. Is that wise if you can't commit to an 18 month contract? If you sign up you have to pay all 18 months of the tariff. You can get the iPhone on PAYG of course.

SV
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: iphone hidden charges HELP!

I often go abroad, and while I rarely use my phone for calls, It would be good to connect to the internet or use the GPS to find my way around.

Totally different charge, you get charged a different price plan for data browsing abroad.

If you are out an about in the UK, you will connect to 3G/EDGE/GPRS - If you do not have an iPhone tariff you will get charged quite a bit, so you will need to pay £7 for the WEB Bolt On, this covers all the data out and about.

Wifi networks you connect too, you will not get charged for this.
Highlighted
Anonymous

You say you are going to buy an iPhone. Is that wise if you can't commit to an 18 month contract? If you sign up you have to pay all 18 months of the tariff. You can get the iPhone on PAYG of course.

Thank guys...
I was thinking about pay as you go, but it's is expensive. I couldn't have that as my main phone and the iphone is locked to o2 so the £300+ for the phone would be a waste to only use occasionally.

So just to clarify..
if i was on holiday in the USA, and by some miracle found a free wifi hotspot in a cafe or hospital, i would not be charged, but would be if i was just walking along the street and wanted to do that itune song identification thing or use street maps to get locations?
Highlighted
Anonymous

I thought access to "The Cloud" is free to iPhone users on contract?

Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

I thought access to "The Cloud" is free to iPhone users on contract?
Smiley Happy

It is.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi Sheepdog: re your response

Thank guys...
I was thinking about pay as you go, but it's is expensive. I couldn't have that as my main phone and the iphone is locked to o2 so the £300+ for the phone would be a waste to only use occasionally.

Then you really don't need the iphone on contract either! The cost is spread out over the contract term so effectively you would be paying the same. If you want it as a easy to use internet device it is worth it on PAYG for the first year when you do the maths. After that, you have options which still works out to be a good deal for internet access.

As you said, the cost of the device is spread out over the life of the contact so if I get the 16Gb option at £155 extra (on the £35 for 18mths tariff), I get the other £240 value of the phone back as minutes. With PAYG I am effectively buying the phone out right at £391 then need to add maybe £30 per month, or more on calls/text depending on usage (O2 don't seem to have any good PAYG plans), or get another phone with a better contract deal (hassle).

The contract option is definitely more cost effective than PAYG. I definitely won't be moving country for at least 12 months and doing the maths, 12mths PAYG is almost equal costs to 18mts contract, but then I could well be here for the full 18mths and then PAYG would cost more. The only good thing about PAYG is I could end the contract in 12 months if I needed to

I'm just getting my head round the fact that as a phone device, the iphone is more like a piece of rental equipment, unless you try getting it unlocked. I've never thought about a phone like that before.

So I guess my point is....
What is the value of the device If I never get it unlocked or never use it as a phone after my contract ends?
What features of the iPhone can I use without a contract?
What feature are people using, liking, couldn't do without?
or maybe a more valid question is... What features do I loose without a mobile contract?

Someone said that 'the Iphone is an itouch with a phone and a not so good camera' maybe that's a good way of thinking about this device

Thanks for all the responses!