cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 'Tethering' a rip off!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone, I just read that Telefonica will not charge a plus for using 'tethering' with the iphone because is part of your unlimited data plan and they can't charge you twice for the same thing.
Right, O2 is part of Telefonica so Why we O2 clients have to paid a plus? Because as far as I know, we are using the same data from the iphone and the only different is that we'll be watching the internet in the laptop. :robotmad:
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is where i get the information, I use google web to translate it but you can understand perfectly. Also you can check the website in the spanish original.

http://translate.google.com/translate?p ... ry_state0=

I will try to find any official news from movistar website
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
What is sick about this, is I have been dying to tether my iPhone to my TomTom which tethered perfectly fine with my XDA Stellar. Now I can't even put iPhone sim in the Stellar to get it to work.

So I can't update traffic or Satellites. Very limited data usage, but O2 *** us again.
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's official, Telefonica movistar will not charge for tethering!!!

http://translate.google.com/translate?p ... ry_state0=
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree, the tethering charges are clearly fabricated to increase o2 revenue.

I can't wait until other networks can legally handle the iphone so I can leave o2!
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I usually consider O2 to be a forward thinking organisation, but this is the kind of short sighted behaviour that will have their customers leaving for other networks.

Whilst the global economy is suffering the consequences of a few peoples greed, why should we support O2 in theirs?

Enough O2. Stop the greed. We've already paid for data. Don't charge us twice.
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem is the network is creaking under the strain of all this data anyway. Allowing free tethering for all those iPhones out there would probably bring it to a standstill wink
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you need to tether and it genuinely is low data usage, then O2 are unlikely to pick up on it. And if they do pick up on it... then you clearly are using more data than most users so I would suggest the charges are justified.
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why would o2 give you internet tathering for free, there is this thing called mobile broadband that is used in the same way as thethering. By allowing o2 customers to use there iphone as the modem means they don't need to carry around extra equipment. So I say why should iphone customers get it for free when other non iphone customers have to buy a dongle and pay a monthly fee to use the o2 network for internet on a laptop
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why would o2 give you internet tathering for free, there is this thing called mobile broadband that is used in the same way as thethering. By allowing o2 customers to use there iphone as the modem means they don't need to carry around extra equipment. So I say why should iphone customers get it for free when other non iphone customers have to buy a dongle and pay a monthly fee to use the o2 network for internet on a laptop

Well thankfully there are some people out there who can see sense. You're 100% correct in what you've said. o2's tethering bolt on is the exact same price as the monthly charge for mobile broadband. This is because tethering is quite literally adding mobile broadband onto your iphone. So...why SHOULD you get it for free? What about somebody who also pays eg: £35 a month but instead of an iphone has a more basic handset that can't tether, should they get a mobile broadband dongle with a data allowance for free sent out to them?
Tethering has always been chargeable on o2 anyway, before mobile broadband came along it was £30 and called o2 web max, most iphone customers don't seem to realise this is old technology, the Sony Ericsson K800i that I had in 2006 did it no problem.
Finally for those of you thinking of leaving o2 because of this (hahaha) then Dan_close on the iphone thread has posted some information from Vodafone...

If you’re a pay monthly customer and you’d like to use your phone as a modem you’ll need one of our Mobile broadband via your phone packs. Simply use your phone as normal – and if you have a 3G phone, connect it to your laptop to turn your phone into a modem. Before you get started, you might need to make a few changes to your phone’s settings – your user manual will have all the details.
Mobile broadband via your phone data pack – for £15 a month
3GB a month – ideal for big downloads
One plan for everything – you don’t need a separate USB modem device. Just use your phone instead
You can’t use data services like making calls over the internet or sharing data files over the internet.
Mobile broadband via your phone data pack – for £25 a month
A whopping 5GB a month
One plan for everything – you don’t need a separate USB modem device. Just use your phone instead
Feel the freedom. Use the internet your way – with full access to data services like making calls over the internet or sharing data files over the internet

Looks Like Vodafones Gonna Charge For Tethering...
Message 10 of 15