cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone Rip off costs - £70+ more than apple depending on model

Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed that O2 is charging £70 to £90 more per iphone than apple.

My wife pre-ordered iphone 7+ 128 Gbytes and it is £819 at apple

Buying the device is £909 + the monthly tariff. Thats's £90 more

The tariffs were the cost is spread over 24 month work out to tbe the same as £909.

Even iphone 7, which is £699 at apple is

-£779 upfront on the  21.5 for 3Gbyte

or

-£179 upfront and £46.5 per month, or again £770 for the phone

That is£80 more than apple. Why are you ripping us off O2?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been chatting with O2 for the last hour and their confirmed that they are more expensive. I believe they are hiding the true cost of the phone.

If you are out of contract I strongly that you get your iphone 7 from elswhere or jsut buy the phone from apple directly and you will save 70 to 90

Shame on you O2. You've lost me as a customer after 10 years

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am due for upgrade. I also noticed that it cost £699 on apple for 128GB and same cost £779 on 02. I was wondering whether my sim only tarriff for existing iphone will work on new iphone bought from apple will work

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are spreading the cost of the phone over 24 months with Apple it works out dearer as they charge interest on top.

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

But at least Apple are transparent and show it as interest charges rather than O2 proudly advising that loan is 0% but sneaking the device cost up which is only displayed in the more info splash screen

Message 5 of 9

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
If you're willing to go for an Apple smartphone then cost is a minor aspect of the decision making process.

Anybody paying upwards of £750 for a cosmetic product that lasts just 12 months needs to question their sanity.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 6 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As already discussed http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/o2-overcharging-for-iphone-7-plus/m-p/996...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

apple do an interest free option on the iphone 7 over 20 months,its on their website but not advertised well so you have to look for it.you have to go instore to do it though with id etc

Message 8 of 9

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
Not in O2 defence or anything but the margin between which they buy from Apple to what they sell it as is terrible and non negotiable. But not supplying the device would mean a bigger hit to revenue. May as well try and get any margin than no margin.

People will still buy from a more expensive network out of ease of purchase but those able to or those who know how to shop around are best doing so as with anything these days.
Message 9 of 9