cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 5 eats credit?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Im on pay and go, and have been for years. Have just got an iphone 5, upgraded from a 3gs. I had the 3gs for over 3 years and never went over the 500mb you get when you top up each month. When I changed to the iphone 5 it used all my data up over night and has then since charged me £1 per day and then I get messages saying I have used up all my data for the day and then have to wait until the next day.

Had a look on google and saw other people saying about icloud, so I turned this off which seems to have reduced the problem but I am still using way too much, where has 500mb gone in two days even with icloud turned off?

Any one else have this problem and is there any way I can see where its all going?

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not sure which app was doing it, might have been a combination. Turned them all off and problem went away. Will be getting that data app then will see what happens

cheers

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
There's a few steps like turning off location settings and stopping push notifications from apps.

Do you have wifi?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 23

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Also have you updated to the latest iOS variant?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the fast reply.

Yes have wifi when im at home, and i have had notifications of using all my data when the wifi's been connected, but I assume thats a delayed notification.

Have not updated but i think I must have the latest because itunes says its up to date

Message 4 of 23

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
There have been reports of leaky data causing the cell service to be used when connected to wifi. However the latest update should of sorted that(6.0.1).

Annoyingly the data manager I used which cut off after a set limit has been broken since the update:(

Ok list of things to do to cut data;
•turn off location services(unless needed)
•close all apps from the task manager(in case one is a data hog) double click home button then hold an app at the bottom until it does that wiggle thing, close them all.
•disable email accounts.(unless vital) you can set them to only search for mail when you open them.

I'm sure there's others ill have a think for you:)
Message 5 of 23

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Have you recently installed some Apps or had any updates and noticed this happening.

My firend on Voda has a 4S and I wathced her data vanish in front of my own eyes. Was scary to be honest how the mb was vanishing.

I found it to be a rouge app that was casuing the issue, but we had to start fresh from a restore and then took it from there.

Prob not the answer, but it did resolve the issue in the end

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for that.

Have been through everything and reset the data usage. Im at home on wifi now so will check in the usage in the morning

cheers

Message 7 of 23

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Let us know how you get on:)
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had not sync'd my 3gs for over 6 months before it died. When i plugged my 5 in it put on everything I had on the 3gs and then I had over 70 updates. If I still have the problem tomorrow I think I will delete them all and start again

Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

turn mobile data off then use wifi where possible then it wont eat your credit

Message 10 of 23