cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone upgrade combined with a sim only deal on a 12 month contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I desperately need some help; My current pay monthly contract is due for renewal, but, I have to change it to a sim only deal, costing no more than £10 per month, inclusive of VAT. O2 representative on live chat offered me

• Sim only
  • Unlimited Texts and Unlimited calls
  • 2GB data on 4G network
  • 12 month contract
  • After 3 months of paying this, I can upgrade to ANY phone of my choosing, free of all charges, including any upfront costs.
  • I will continue to pay ONLY £10 per month, inclusive of VAT, for the ENTIRE 12 month contract, whilst using my new, possibly but not yet decided, iPhone 7.

I wrote all of this in a live chat tonight, however, now told; whilst the upgrade is free, upfront costs may apply. Plus, the monthly tariff could be increased, depending on the RPI. I was asked whether I want a sim only deal or a phone upgrade, to which I replied, BOTH.

Now either I am really dim, or them or I, have completely misunderstood eachother, but, when I said that I will call the sales team to discuss it, I was told that there is no point, because they cannot offer me this "Rentention Deal". So, I am so confused, please, can somebody help me, as I don't know what to do!

Thank you

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I was told: offer you sim only 12 months for £10.00. Including VAT for unlimited mins & texts and 2GB 4G data?  You can upgrade for a new phone contract once you complete 3 months on it and you don't pay early upgrade charges.....

It is correct up to the part I have quoted.

If you choose to upgrade at that point you will pay the prices advertised on the shop pages, but, you may be able to negotiate a few quid a month off the airtime portion the device plans are always fixed prices.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You will not get an iPhone 7 for £10 a month, sorry but that's wrong info you have been led to believe.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
You will not get an iPhone 7 for £10 a month, sorry but that's wrong info you have been led to believe.

Thank you, MI5, I thought I was going mad, or at the very least, living in a paralell universe

I was told: offer you sim only 12 months for £10.00. Including VAT for unlimited mins & texts and 2GB 4G data?  You can upgrade for a new phone contract once you complete 3 months on it and you don't pay early upgrade charges or upfront costs at all. And our tariff is £10 per month including no other charges at all.

I said: upgrade to which phone?
Rep: any phone of your choice

Because this is an online only "retention deal" do you have any advice about who I can now contact, in order, to receive the correct information and rectify the situation, which will enable me to either cancel my contract or sign up for another plan.

I have had past experiences, where I was, again, given incorrect information, which meant I was charged some exorbitant costs. So, now I am extremely weary of anything discussed via live chat and hesitant about signing up online.

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I was told: offer you sim only 12 months for £10.00. Including VAT for unlimited mins & texts and 2GB 4G data?  You can upgrade for a new phone contract once you complete 3 months on it and you don't pay early upgrade charges.....

It is correct up to the part I have quoted.

If you choose to upgrade at that point you will pay the prices advertised on the shop pages, but, you may be able to negotiate a few quid a month off the airtime portion the device plans are always fixed prices.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Because this is an online only "retention deal" do you have any advice about who I can now contact, in order, to receive the correct information and rectify the situation, which will enable me to either cancel my contract or sign up for another plan.

It doesn't matter which sim only plan you choose as the 3 month upgrade is available on all of them and you have to pay the same price for whichever full tariff you choose.

If you want to cancel now you need to do it via CS and within 14 days http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5