Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Topics: 573
Solutions: 3,881

iPhone unlock farce

Not sure how it's a farce at all?
Everyone knows the phones can be unlocked and the time span stated is 14 days.
Why didn't you apply to get the phone unlocked earlier, unless of course you have only just got it? It's possible the phone might still be unlocked prior to you leaving for LA as people have had phones unlocked in 4-5 days. Depends where you are in the queue I suppose.

However you probably chose the worst time to apply with the Easter break.
Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone unlock farce

However, strongly you feel about it. The truth is that Apple offer a revenue sharing model for the iPhone and its their procedure that has to be followed. If you feel so strongly then you should be talking with Apple about changing their policies.
I doubt they will listen, however if you want to you should at least try to understand the current situation.
Highlighted
Topics: 295
Kudos: 1,850
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

iPhone unlock farce

LondonJay, its Apple that take the time to do the unlock. So you will have exactly the same issue with Tesco, or Vodafone etc

see my link above only o2 and orange can unlock at present
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: iPhone unlock farce

Not bad, it takes four weeks for a Blackberry.... and they do take the full 28 days.

It took less than 2 weeks to get mine so no, it doesn't always take the full 28 days.

You were obviously very lucky. My two Blackberry phone unlock applications in the last 6 weeks, one took 28 days and the other is in day 23 so far.
Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone unlock farce

My HTC HD2 took close to the max 28 days to unlock however I know for a fact the the request was passed to HTC within 48 hours of me sending the online form to o2.

It's not really o2's fault it takes so long to unlock the iphone and too be honest quoting 14 days (which is half the time of their other handsets) is really just to cover themselves, it's usually done quicker.
Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone unlock farce

When I originally received my HTC HD2, it took an online form unlock request (which failed) and then a manual unlock submission via speaking to O2 customer services. It probably took about 6-7 weeks in total.

Now, I've had to send my (now unlcoked) HTC HD2 back for repair (see my other posts regarding Anovo) and they have given me a replacement phone as they couldn't repair my phone. The replacement has turned up locked Smiley Mad

As soon as I could check the replacment phone is working ok, I've phoned O2 up to request an unlock code. Day 20 out of 28 so far....
Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone unlock farce

When I originally received my HTC HD2, it took an online form unlock request (which failed) and then a manual unlock submission via speaking to O2 customer services. It probably took about 6-7 weeks in total.
Now, I've had to send my (now unlcoked) HTC HD2 back for repair (see my other posts regarding Anovo) and they have given me a replacement phone as they couldn't repair my phone. The replacement has turned up locked Smiley Mad
As soon as I could check the replacment phone is working ok, I've phoned O2 up to request an unlock code. Day 20 out of 28 so far....

Off the top of my head I am sure I am passed the 28 days and I don't truly expect to hear from them. If I ring them it will be somebody else's fault and more ear manure.

I will just send off another email.
Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone unlock farce

Day 25 out of 28..

I previously called in three days ago (on Saturday) to see if any progress was being made on my request.

1st call: There's no way to locate your original request. Besides, it can take up to 30 *working days* to get your request sorted.

2nd call: Again, there's no way to get your request sorted. I can't believe that you've got a valid request anyway, we charge for an 'unlatching' code. I can't find a record of the phone that you're trying to 'unlatch' anyway so your only option is to 'shop around'.

I actually spent ages on the phone on the 2nd call trying to figure out why the handset I got as a replacement from O2 wasn't registered on the system with them. Going over the IMEI number several times was met by complete denials and actually, lies. In the end I was far more concerned by the fact that they said it was never supplied by them that I just gave up talking with him. I found out that the customer service representative was being very obtuse because for some strange reason if you dial in *#06# on a HTC HD2 handset, it'll display your IMEI number BUT with two additional digits on the end (I only found this out a bit later). He told me that their IMEI number registered ended in 778 - but wouldn't tell me the full number. I repeated my IMEI several times (in full) but it ended in 77801. He categorically told me that whatever phone I was using wasn't registered or supplied by them - despite my protests that I have documentation proving that fact. He could've twigged a bit when I told him my IMEI number several times and comparing with what he had on the screen that the fact I was giving the very same first 15 digits and then a '01' that it is in fact the same handset. When I told him that previously I was able to get an unlock code for free he told me that it was not possible and whoever did it for me the first time shouldn't have done it. He told me that even if it as possible for me to get an 'unlatching' code he would charge me for it. He was completely unreasonable in all that he was doing and being a pillock in my opinion. He also wouldn't pass me onto a supervisor as (I quote), "They'll just tell you the same thing."

Day 28 out of 28

Today's the day. But I have not received any communication from them with regards to my request. I'll have to call them...

1st call: We've sent you your code - haven't you received it yet?
Me: No I haven't - I'm looking at the email address you claimed to have sent it to while I'm talking on the phone with you...
CSR: Well, we sent it at 11:05am (It was around 11:45am now). I think it's just a delay.
Me: That's strange, I seem to be getting all other emails fine.. So what to do? Can't you just tell me the code over the phone since you've already sent it to me?
CSR: No. we don't keep any records of it.
Me: Smiley Mad So I'll just have to wait til the email comes through then? Even though you sent it over 30mins ago?
CSR: Yes.
Me: Fine. :robotmad:

2nd call @ 7:30pm (wastold they close at 8pm)

CSR: We've sent you your unlock code by email today.
Me: Well, I havne't got it, and it's been over 6 hours now... Can't you just tell me the code over the phone? I mean, why would I lie about not receiving it in any case and since you've already got it and claimed to have sent it to me, what harm could it possibly do to tell me it over the phone?
CSR: Hang on. (After about 3 mins...) Here you go, the code is ####.
Me: Smiley Very Happy Thank you very much!

Basically if I was to rate O2 customer services they'd probably get 2/10 and I'm being generous! The way I've been treated so far has left me feeling very disappointed. There are so many inconsistencies between one staff member to the next in terms of what they say they can and can't do. It makes me wonder how they train their staff (if there's any traingin done at all). There's no point in taking names down as they all say that it's impossible to get hold of the same person you spoke to anyway since they are located in different call centres.

I hold 3 seperate contracts with O2 myself which thankfully all have only ~3 months left on them. That, coupled with several close family members all on O2 I'll be trying my best to persuade them all to move too come renewal time.
Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone unlock farce

Day 25 out of 28..
I previously called in three days ago (on Saturday) to see if any progress was being made on my request.
1st call: There's no way to locate your original request. Besides, it can take up to 30 *working days* to get your request sorted.
2nd call: Again, there's no way to get your request sorted. I can't believe that you've got a valid request anyway, we charge for an 'unlatching' code. I can't find a record of the phone that you're trying to 'unlatch' anyway so your only option is to 'shop around'.
I actually spent ages on the phone on the 2nd call trying to figure out why the handset I got as a replacement from O2 wasn't registered on the system with them. Going over the IMEI number several times was met by complete denials and actually, lies. In the end I was far more concerned by the fact that they said it was never supplied by them that I just gave up talking with him. I found out that the customer service representative was being very obtuse because for some strange reason if you dial in *#06# on a HTC HD2 handset, it'll display your IMEI number BUT with two additional digits on the end (I only found this out a bit later). He told me that their IMEI number registered ended in 778 - but wouldn't tell me the full number. I repeated my IMEI several times (in full) but it ended in 77801. He categorically told me that whatever phone I was using wasn't registered or supplied by them - despite my protests that I have documentation proving that fact. He could've twigged a bit when I told him my IMEI number several times and comparing with what he had on the screen that the fact I was giving the very same first 15 digits and then a '01' that it is in fact the same handset. When I told him that previously I was able to get an unlock code for free he told me that it was not possible and whoever did it for me the first time shouldn't have done it. He told me that even if it as possible for me to get an 'unlatching' code he would charge me for it. He was completely unreasonable in all that he was doing and being a pillock in my opinion. He also wouldn't pass me onto a supervisor as (I quote), "They'll just tell you the same thing."
Day 28 out of 28
Today's the day. But I have not received any communication from them with regards to my request. I'll have to call them...
1st call: We've sent you your code - haven't you received it yet?
Me: No I haven't - I'm looking at the email address you claimed to have sent it to while I'm talking on the phone with you...
CSR: Well, we sent it at 11:05am (It was around 11:45am now). I think it's just a delay.
Me: That's strange, I seem to be getting all other emails fine.. So what to do? Can't you just tell me the code over the phone since you've already sent it to me?
CSR: No. we don't keep any records of it.
Me: Smiley Mad So I'll just have to wait til the email comes through then? Even though you sent it over 30mins ago?
CSR: Yes.
Me: Fine. :robotmad:
2nd call @ 7:30pm (wastold they close at 8pm)
CSR: We've sent you your unlock code by email today.
Me: Well, I havne't got it, and it's been over 6 hours now... Can't you just tell me the code over the phone? I mean, why would I lie about not receiving it in any case and since you've already got it and claimed to have sent it to me, what harm could it possibly do to tell me it over the phone?
CSR: Hang on. (After about 3 mins...) Here you go, the code is ####.
Me: Smiley Very Happy Thank you very much!
Basically if I was to rate O2 customer services they'd probably get 2/10 and I'm being generous! The way I've been treated so far has left me feeling very disappointed. There are so many inconsistencies between one staff member to the next in terms of what they say they can and can't do. It makes me wonder how they train their staff (if there's any traingin done at all). There's no point in taking names down as they all say that it's impossible to get hold of the same person you spoke to anyway since they are located in different call centres.
I hold 3 seperate contracts with O2 myself which thankfully all have only ~3 months left on them. That, coupled with several close family members all on O2 I'll be trying my best to persuade them all to move too come renewal time.

I am well passed my 28 days. I have just decided that O2 are poor. Pretty much across the board.

The good news is that it is not long until the World Cup! Smiley Wink