Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone unlock farce

Hi,

I've been with O2 for years, I have had an iPhone since 3G and am currently on a 3GS. I'm travelling to Los Angeles in a week and wanted to put a U.S sim into my iPhone, the rest you're probably aware of...

If you're not, it takes two weeks to unlock an iPhone!

Actually it doesn't take two weeks, they just take two weeks. I know there's nothing I can say to change it, and from the Customer Services, I understand they don't really care about the inconvenience caused to me either.

So I just wanted to vent, it's just talk, but I will happily do the action part when my contract ends. Hello Vodafone Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: iPhone unlock farce

Hello Vodafone Smiley Happy

or Tesco? :womanindifferent:
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi,
I've been with O2 for years, I have had an iPhone since 3G and am currently on a 3GS. I'm travelling to Los Angeles in a week and wanted to put a U.S sim into my iPhone, the rest you're probably aware of...
If you're not, it takes two weeks to unlock an iPhone!
Actually it doesn't take two weeks, they just take two weeks. I know there's nothing I can say to change it, and from the Customer Services, I understand they don't really care about the inconvenience caused to me either.
So I just wanted to vent, it's just talk, but I will happily do the action part when my contract ends. Hello Vodafone Smiley Happy

Not bad, it takes four weeks for a Blackberry.... and they do take the full 28 days.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Not bad, it takes four weeks for a Blackberry.... and they do take the full 28 days.

It took less than 2 weeks to get mine so no, it doesn't always take the full 28 days.
Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone unlock farce

LondonJay, its Apple that take the time to do the unlock. So you will have exactly the same issue with Tesco, or Vodafone etc
Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone unlock farce

Well after asking to speak to a supervisor, I was told by him it was two weeks because they had to contact orange and vodafone to get permission for them to allow the phone on their network.

Sorry,****.

Funny how you can download a piece of software that does it in about 3 mins.

By the way, just because the Blackberry takes even longer to unlock why does it make this ok? Let's face it why bother locking these phones? You still have to honour the length of the contract either way, so they get their subsidised money back regardless of locking the phone.
Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone unlock farce

O2 request that Apple make the necessary changes to their database, so that when you connect your iPhone to iTunes it becomes active on all networks. When O2 receive notification that this has been done they notify you.
However much you would like the situation to be different, it isn't. Apple have a very tight control over the platform and there is nothing anyone can do to change that.
O2 don't normally lock contract phones. The only ones that are locked are O2 branded handsets or where the manufacturer makes this a condition of supply (Apple, Blackberry).
Highlighted
Topics: 295
Kudos: 1,850
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

iPhone unlock farce

I do not see how it is a farce since it has been possible to unlock it has always been 14 days.

The fact that the op has not done it on time is not o2's fault.

Also vodafone would be worse as there iPhone is locked with no unlock option like tesco source http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone unlock farce

As you say my liking it has nothing to do with it I'm just the customer.

The original Blackberry's and Iphones I can see being locked due to being exclusive per provider. So now that silliness is behind us, I assume these phones will be sold unlocked... Yeah right.

And I'm sure O2 have nothing to do with locking down it's phones even under monthly contract, yeah it's all Apple's fault is it? Funny how the last 5 phones i've had from O2 have ALL been locked yet only 2 of them have been Apple iPhones. So I assume Sony Ericsson and Nokia are to blame for those other ones? Poor O2 just trying to get the job done, I totally see your point now.
Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone unlock farce

Also vodafone would be worse as there iPhone is locked with no unlock option like tesco source http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

My point exactly, when did you decide it was acceptable for phone companies to offer you a bad option and a worse option, and leave you defending the bad option cause it's better than the worse option? IT'S STILL BAD!