cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Contract For Under 18's

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey,
I've read on the internet in many forums that working 16-17 year olds are getting iPhone O2 contracts, but in there parents name but the with THERE debit card details and the money coming out every month through direct debit.
Is this possible, my friend did it with his dad the other day?
If so, is it better to do in store, online or over the phone?

I get weekly payments of £30 of EMA every week, plus I've got a part time job.
Thats more than enough every month for an iPhone.
Can i do this with my Mum? The contracts in her name but the money is coming out of my account every month. And once im 18 they switch the account holder to me.

Thanks,
Joey
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its really not us you should be asking, its your mum lol.

Yes a lot of parents do take out contracts for their children, more often then not its on sim only deals though.

Have you had a looked into the Iphone tariffs though? You do have to be on quite a high spending contract to get the phone for free, and there is insurance that you have to take out on the phone (Apple says we have to sell the phone with insurance) which as of tomorrow will be £10 a month for all new iphone customers. Then what if you go over your allowance, will you have enough money to cover any extra spending on your bill?

Just a few things to think about as your mum will be held accountable.

And you can't change the account into your name once you are 18, only when the contract is up will you be able to take out another contract in your name.

I'm pretty cynical about parents doing this for their children, I for one would never take a phone out for my son, I have seen it go wrong so many times, on a daily basis. Can't you just stick with a PAYG or test the waters with a sim only till your 18?
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
and there is insurance that you have to take out on the phone (Apple says we have to sell the phone with insurance) which as of tomorrow will be £10 a month for all new iphone customers. /quote]

Apple CANNOT insist that people take out insurance on a new phone. It is against UK law to have compulsory insurance on electrical goods.

£10 per month? That would make the cheapest contract £40 and no longer a reasonable option.
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was told, only this week, that when taking out an Iphone you have to get insurance with it. I did think at the time this was rather odd, but I didn't question it.

And yes, for all phones with a value of over £300, the insurance will be going up from £7.50 to £10 as of tomorrow.
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
So £180 over the term of a contract - quite a rip off. Most independent insurers are half that price.

Is this O2 who are applying this or CPW or both.
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
So £180 over the term of a contract - quite a rip off. Most independent insurers are half that price.
Is this O2 who are applying this or CPW or both.

Its only for high cost phones (over £300) and is only for new customers, existing customers upgrading can still have the £7.50 insurance.

This is o2 only but as far as I am aware its not too differently priced to CPW? I know P4U min insurance product is £9.99 a month for all phones.

You don't HAVE to take insurance with iphone.
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for all the replies grin
but i can afford it i get £120 from ema every week
and have a high paid part time job wink

but my question was: Can the contract go under the name of my mum and then put in MY debit card details and have it taken from that account monthly :robotindifferent:
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for all the replies grin
but i can afford it i get £120 from ema every week
and have a high paid part time job wink
but my question was: Can the contract go under the name of my mum and then put in MY debit card details and have it taken from that account monthly :robotindifferent:

So long as your mum is happy to then yes.
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Untill my son was 18 i always got his contract for him and paid it out my bank account,when he turned 18 and got a job i kept it in my name untill the contract ran out,but changed it to his bank account.
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey,
So i went to an O2 store yesterday after college and the sales assitant told me that i can ask a parent or guardian to act as guarantor grin
Meaning I pay the bill etc. and it's in my name but if there happens to be any problems then legally my parent or guardian is responsible for the outcome.
Is this possible?

PS: I wasnt with my mum at the time so I couldnt do it 😞
Message 10 of 10