Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

iPhone 3G on O2. Should There Be a 3G Symbol?

Hi

Just got my iPhone 3G upgrade today and inserted my iPhone 2G sim card in it and activated it. A very painless operation indeed. Smiley Very Happy

I have one question though;

Should there be a "3G" symbol near the signal strength indicator to show I have a 3G signal (as the picture on the box seems to suggest)?

I have a full strength signal indicator with "O2-UK" next to it, and a full Wi-Fi signal symbol next to that.

Should I also be seeing a 3G signal to indicate I have a 3G signal as opposed to a "normal" connection?

Thank you. Smiley Very Happy
Anonymous

This really should be posted on the iPhone forums.

However, AFAIK you should have an indicator of a 3G signal if:

-The phone is actually picking up a 3G o2 signal
-The SIM card you are using as a 3G one.

As you've transferred your SIM from a 2G iPhone this probably means it's not 3G enabled.

sV
Anonymous

Hi sV

Many thanks for your reply.

As for the post being in the iPhone forums; no, it shouldn't as this is an O2 related question more than a question about the iPhone itself. I will call customer services.
Topics: 293
Kudos: 1,845
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,310

Question 1 is your sim card a 3g card?

The respons about the iphone forum I think meant that as you have an iphone the dedicated Iphone forum may be a better place to post.

Adam
iPhone xs 256gb on 20gb tariff o2 open discount
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Anonymous

Hi

I just spoke to some guy at O2 who says that there may not always be a 3G symbol on my phone. I asked him if I needed to have 3G activated on my account but he said no as it was not an account specific thing but a handset thing.
Anonymous

Ah, sorry. I didn't realise there was a dedicated iPhone forum. I will nip over there and re-post my question there.

Thanks Smiley Very Happy
Anonymous

dannyboy

might i just point out that if you have wifi switched on the phone will show the wifi strength instead of the 3g indicator
Highlighted
Anonymous

OMG!

How stupid do I feel! :robotsurprised:

I didn't know there was a 3G on/off setting; there wasn't one in my 2G iPhone.

I think I need to call Customer Services and apologise for any inconvenience I have caused them.

Does anybody volunteer to take the blame for me? Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for all the help you have provided, everybody. Smiley Very Happy