Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

iPhone 3G 16gb - successful insurance claim - no stock?

Hi all,

Having dropped my phone in the pool (don't ask!) I have successfully claimed on my mobile phone insurance with O2 to get a replacement phone.

However, the lady said they had no more iPhones in stock at the moment and would give me a call back, hopefully within the next few days.

Out of curiosity - are they still even making the 16GB iPhone 3G anymore? I haven't seen it on many sites, and I certainly want a brand new replacement (as it says on the insurance).

If not, how can they replace it? Any ideas how long this could take? I need my phone for work for a start so it is quite urgent!

Cheers! Smiley Very Happy
Topics: 297
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

I cannot comment on length of time but how long did it take to sort the claim out?

Can you update us when you get a replacemet as to what you get.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Anonymous

Sorting the claim was very quick - I rang customer services and explained my problem, who then put me through to insurance.

After reading out the legal lines they have to say, I explained how I broke my phone and she said based on this information your claim has been accepted, but unfortunately we have no iPhones in stock at the moment. We'll give you a ring when we do.

When I asked how long, she said hopefully a few days.

I'm assuming this is all I need to do (I hadn't been asked to fill in any forms or anything at the moment).

Will update you on what I get... once/if it arrives!
Anonymous

The exact same thing happened to me, only it was a bath :womanindifferent: .

I phoned them on 30th July to make the claim, it all went through only they said the 3G 16gb was out of stock and that they'd phone once they were back in.

I rang again this Monday gone, the 10th August and they said I was on the list but that they were still waiting.

Obviously I'm annoyed now, since although I'm sure I'll eventually get a phone, its now been a good few weeks that I've been without - and paying line rental charges...

I spoke to a customer services advisor at O2 wondering whether they would compensate for the fact that I'd been paying line rental without being able to use the service, and they responded very blankly and confusedly as if what I was asking was totally unreasonable.

I wonder whether this would be in the terms of the insurance?

I also wonder, like the OP, whether the 3G is still being produced. Possibly they use refurbished phones for insurance claims, and these aren't coming in quickly enough?

ETA: I see on the apple online store that they're only selling the 3G in 8GB.
Anonymous

You will probably find its a special order, apple can still get, the original iphone if they need to, although these units are not for sale in the shops they can still get them if they need to replace one. There was an item on the web some where that apple had ordered a couple of hundred 2G phones just before the GS was released so O2 are probably just waiting for a special order.
Anonymous

Ah I see.

Well hopefully it isn't too long, I need my phone soon as I'll be working away from home, so having my phone with me is very very important!

Fingers crossed this gets sorted out soon... and the kind lady on the phone didn't just say 'a couple of days' to fob me off! :@ haha
Anonymous

any update on this? i too am waiting on stock to return after my insurance claim.
Anonymous

dannyboy

as far as i know the 3g 16gb is not in production any more. i took a faulty 16gb handset back to an o2 store a couple of months ago and it was replaced with a 3gs. this is probably what is happening with your insurance claim, hence the lack of stock
Anonymous

if you go to a store they will lend you a basic phone so that you can use your mins and sms etc you will have to leave a deposit and this will be returned when the lent handset is replaced

just ask in store for the basic handset it should be avalible it used to be how it worked

as for the insurance claim you wont have to do anything else , there are no forms etc , if the insurers say yes then thats fine if they had them in stock then you would have had it next day its a very good service usaully

sorry about your wait
Anonymous

Mean't to reply to this. I did wonder if I could have a "loan phone" but didn't bother in the end.

The lady rang back on Saturday to say they will be replacing it with an iPhone 3GS and that it will be delivered Tuesday, so I'm a happy bunny!

Just glad to have a phone back to be honest, I've slowly been dying without any calling, texting or tweeting! haha