Did you mean: 

iPhone 13 - International calling issues on Movistar Spain

Ssl22uk
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Having an issue with my iPhone 13 and need some help. Currently in Costa Del Sol and on 5G, Movistar. When I make an international call, the phone jumps to 3G and the call fails. I have data roaming enabled and I’ve tried setting it to just 4G with VoLTE on and off. I have no issues with 5G or 4G data, it’s just when I need to make a conventional landline call it fails to work. Of 25 or so attempts, I made 3 calls. People can’t reach me either. 

Not very happy with the support from O2 as they quoted I should be on the latest iOS 10.4, which I pointed out is over 5 years old. They don’t seem familiar with the newer iPhone settings menu on iOS 15, quoting none existent menus. Website says to select 3G, but you can’t select 3G. 

When I cross into Gibraltar, all works fine and we’ve established I have the roaming bolt-on and no restrictions or spend caps. 

Help is appreciated as it’s driving me crazy. They’ve given up on the issue and blamed the overseas carrier. Have I exhausted all options? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144097 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Ssl22uk 

This does sound like a local carrier issue.

Try manually selecting a different network.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122771 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Ssl22uk 

What network are you on in Gibraltar? I travelled to the Costa Del Sol a lot and when I went to Gib was still on Movistar. Seems weird that it works properly when you are in Gibraltar.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

Ssl22uk
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Tried Orange and Vodafone but they don’t work. I thought this myself as I remember the earlier days of 4G to 3G transfer delay and it used to drop the calls. 🙄😂

Message 4 of 8

Ssl22uk
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It was on Gibtel whilst I was over the boarder. I had 4G for both data and calls and made several calls ok. 

Partner is ok on Movistar and can make and receive calls. Only difference is iPhone 12 and I’m 13. Data is fine it just didn’t seem to like 3G. 

Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122771 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Ha. I'd forgotten about GibTel (which started in 1994). I must have been using that and never noticed. There again, I didn't have any issues with my phone whilst on the Costa Del Sol @Ssl22uk 

Obviously a local network issue then (which doesn't like the iPhone 13 for some strange reason?)

Just a suggestion...there are plenty of excellent Phone shops on the Costa Del Sol (Orange is the best I found) Take your phone in (with passport) and let them have a look. Most of their staff are English speaking.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

Ssl22uk
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Cleoriff

O2 have contacted me today to say they have passed it to Network team to look at. They was reluctant until I pointed out it was Telefonica 🤣

I’ll get a cheap local pay phone card and use the data as normal . I’ll let you know what they say.

Message 7 of 8

Ssl22uk
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Same issue in Portugal. I’m going back next month and swapping the handset out. I’ve changed the SIM before I went on this visit but still couldn’t make or receive calls. 

Message 8 of 8