Did you mean: 

iMessage not working after number transfer

SammyxVine
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I transferred my number from giffgaff to O2 and everything seems to be working fine except iMessage. I have tried restarting the phone several times, turning iMessage and FaceTime on and off again. I have checked my phone number is correct on settings-phone-my number and the number displayed is correct.
I moved from Vodafone to giffgaff recently before joining O2 and had no issues with iMessage not working.

I’ve tried calling O2 and they’ve been so unhelpful. They told me to speak to Apple. I’ve called Apple and they said the problem lies with O2. Any ideas what the issue is?

I rely on iMessage for work so if it can’t be sorted can I get my PAC code from O2 and move to another network, or will this cause more issues with my number? I don’t want to lose my mobile number as I’ve had it for years.

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SammyxVine 

It's more than likely to fix the issue.

Your other option is a factory reset, but a new sim is probably easier for you.

As a long shot, have you tried resetting your network settings?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SammyxVine 

Two things immediately spring to mind.

1 - Try signing out of your Apple ID and back in again.

2 - get a new blank sim and do a sim swap.

Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

There could be a conflict between the number originally on the sim and your now ported number as O2 don't overwrite numbers during the porting process.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 21

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6258 Posts
  • 47 Topics
  • 1433 Solutions

See this often on the forums

Some useful tips here

https://toomanyadapters.com/imessages-switch-sim-cards/

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 21

SammyxVine
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve tried most of that and it’s not working. Do I just get a new sim? 
I read that you need to make sure that iData is activated in your O2 account but when I call O2 nobody seems to know what I’m talking about and they tell me just to call Apple. Is there anybody on here that can check for me if iData is activated?

Message 4 of 21

SammyxVine
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Tried No.1 and it didn’t work. 
I guess I can pop into O2 and ask for a new sim?

Message 5 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SammyxVine 

Yes any O2 store will give you a new blank sim.

iData should not be required for facetime and iMessage but is required for visual voicemail if you're on a contract and not PAYG.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 21

SammyxVine
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is a blank sim likely to sort the issue? I feel like getting my pac code and going to EE or something. I never had this issue when I transferred my number from Vodafone to giffgaff. 

Message 7 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SammyxVine 

It's more than likely to fix the issue.

Your other option is a factory reset, but a new sim is probably easier for you.

As a long shot, have you tried resetting your network settings?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 21

SammyxVine
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No I haven’t. Should I try that? What is the problem in your opinion? My number didn’t port  properly? How comes I never had that issue when I transferred my number from Vodafone to Giffgaff?

Message 9 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SammyxVine 

I believe your number has ported OK so don't worry about that.

It's just a glitch in Apple software and a network reset has helped others in the same situation.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 21