Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

how to tell if you sim card is 3g

hi, im new to this and need some advice, ive just bought a new phone with 3g surfing, how can i tell if the sim card im using is 3g or if i need a new one? i can surf using wap if that helps? thanks Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Topics: 48
Kudos: 591
Solutions: 48

Good Morn and welcome to o2 forum.

All o2 sim cards i in the last 6-12 months are 3g.

However you can tell by looking at the back of the sim card, on the back of it there is your imei number, near the bottom it should say in the number 3g.

This will then indicate to you that its a 3g sim card.

Hope the above helps
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Does that mean if I've been with o2 for 10 years (originally BT Cellnet) mine wont be 3G Smiley Sad
Highlighted
Anonymous

if the sim card is 6-10years old im suprised you still have it... surely it would have been replaced.

but no sim cards this old prob wont have 2g never mind 3g. itll be 1g or 1.5g
Highlighted
Topics: 48
Kudos: 591
Solutions: 48

Many people still have the Genie or Bt Celnet Sim cards, there is no need to replace them unless you want to use 3g features.

The older sim cards give you the same access to the network (excl 3g services) so why the need to change them.

o2 sim cards in the last 6 months have all been 3g even if you have only had a 2g phone, But any other sim cards, then you need to look at the back of sim card and check to see if it says 3g in the numbers.
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.