Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

how do i find out why my credit is disappearing?

Hi,
i'm on the text and web payg service and recently i've noticed that my credit has been randomly disappearing.
I sometimes get a message(not a txt) from 02 saying something about spending a £1 on the internet and browsing for the rest of the day for free and when i then check my balance i find it has went down.
This is strange as i am not using my phone when this happens and i rarely use my phone at all.
I havn't signed up for any services with anyone either and my web browser is definitely turned off so what can be causing this to happen?
Any ideas?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: how do i find out why my credit is disappearing?

What kind of phone have you got? It sounds like you've used up your web allowance and you're being charged 'up to £1 per day' for going online.
If you've got a smartphone then they connect to the internet for updates and things like that automatically, so you'll still get charged even if your web browser isn't running.
Highlighted
Anonymous

You say you rarely us your phone at all. How often do you top up? If it is more than a month at a time then the 500MB Web allowance will finish after one month since your last top up and you will go onto Web Daily which is the £1 charge you see appearing
Highlighted
Anonymous

I hadn't topped up for a couple of months and then i topped up four or five days ago with a tenner. Since then i have made two short calls and spent half an hour on google maps. I have only £4.15 credit left.
I (still) use a Nokia N95 8GB which has served me well over the years. My phone was actually in the pawn shop for a couple of months and since i got it back out i've noticed that O2 have changed their internet service/allowances cos i used to have unlimited browsing for £15 a month. Last week was the first time i had topped it up since i got it back out and i was actually shocked at how little i get for my money now. Am i right in thinking i dont even have free wi-fi now as well?
Anyway i havn't changed anything or signed up for anything and neither do i have to pay for any updates or anything at all.
Could you plz explain a bit more about the web daily thing? is there any way to stop this from happening cos it seems to be deducting £1 from my credit for internet use even though i never wanted it or asked for it and i am not using any internet.
What in your opinion is the best payg tarriff to use if you use the internet maybe once or twice a week?
Cheers,
Highlighted
Anonymous

Web daily isn't a charge, it stops you from being overcharged. All it means is that even if you go online without having a data bolt-on you won't be charged more than £1 per day. If you didn't have web daily, then you're charged at £3 per mb until all your credit is gone.
The N95 is a smartphone, so it will go online by itself even if you're not using the web browser. You should definitely stick on a tariff that includes internet use, otherwise it will cost you a fortune (£1 per day, every day basically)
On Text and Web you don't get your 500mb free internet use until your 'anniversary' date. This is the date you first topped up (so if you first topped up on 1st March then your anniversary date is 1st April, then 1st May etc).
You get a text from O2 when your free texts and internet have been activated. If you use the internet or send texts before this happens then you're just charged out of your credit.
Highlighted
Anonymous

If you've been on Google maps as you say you have, then you'll be using data.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi, I have the same problem. I've recently bought an Android handset as a second phone on PAYG and £1 keeps disappearing every day. I don't want it to use internet (unless Wi-Fi) so how do I stop the phone connecting or my account doing this?
Highlighted
Anonymous

It isn't really sensible to use a smartphone on some tariff without data. What you will have to do is delete/overwrite the Access Points in your wireless and network settings. Make sure sync is only turned on when you are connected to wi-fi.
Highlighted
Anonymous

i know this post is a couple of months old, but this has just recently started happening to me, i have an old tariff, (100 mins or 100 texts for £10)
its only started happening since the 13th july when i didnt top up on my anniversary date, one o2 guru said it was a recharge waiting for me to top up and he would stop it happening , it didnt stop, another guru said apps on my phone connecting to web , the phone the sim is in is a samsung e900 with no apps,
i agreed to an internet bar being put on to see if that was it
it would take off 15p at a time then sometimes it would take 1p
today it took 31p
i'l be checking it again tomorrow
Highlighted
Anonymous

I was on the simplicity payg tariff that gave me 300 crossnetwork minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb of data use for £20 per month.
After moving from the Nokia n8 to the iphone 4 I soon came to realise 500mb was not going to be enough. It simply cries out to be used...lol....
I soon moved to the simplicity payg tariff that now gives me 300 crossnetwork minutes, 50 mms, unlimited wifi, unlimited texts and 1bg of data use for £25.50 per month.
If and when 02 offer a bigger data use payg tariff I think i'll change again !
Smartfone's apps sometimes have inbuilt commands to access the internet in the background for updates and location services.