cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting charged for mms to 000000000001234

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, ever since I changed from payg to simplicity, I noticed I have been getting charged for mms to the number 000000000001234, does anyone know what this number is or is anyone else having the same problem, I haven't sent anything to this number but I am getting charged.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Why do people constantly blame the network when the phone is doing as designed and as requested by the user.....?
Blaming the network for personal shortcomings is getting very boring to read.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 31

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It's puzzling, if I find something has gone wrong or is not working as I expect it to, I tend to look for what I am doing wrong first which more often than not gives me the solution.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 22 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just come across this problem too. I think my iPhone tried to send a text message to an email address through iMessage but failed so sent it as an MMS. A quick chat online to a customer service adviser and they have barred my phone from sending MMS. this means I won't get any surprise charges now.

Message 23 of 31

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You have a setting on an iPhone that you can change yourself either to turn off MMS completely or to disable to subject line to prevent it getting recognised as an MMS accidentally.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

My daughters brand new iphone 6 first bill with o2 and i have been charged an extra £10 on MMS picture messages to email??

after getting quite angry at my daughter, she has denied all these picture messages??

Under more investigation we find this thread, we have looked at our bill and it looks like we are being charged for  sending emoji's and we think it is the new iphone6 taking over and automatically switching the text from sms to mms!! This is crazy no other phone has ever done that, does anyone know how to turn this feature OFF if we can and do you think we can get a refund from o2?

Message 25 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

As I said on your other post you will get charged for MMS and this includes sending pictures and emoji's

Please take time to read through this thread about how to avoid this in future. You wont get a refund from O2..

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

By the way any text over 480 characters will be charged as an MMS.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 31

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's because she is putting a subject in the subject field when writing an sms.
Go into settings and turn off the subject field in the options.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 31

Boudicca
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It is happening to me too and O2 have so far just been told the charge will be removed from my next bill. Not good enough becuase how many people will not be noticing this charge? It may only be 42p, but do that to a few thousand customers and someone is on to a nice little earner! O2 need to take action now before customers decide to go to a provider who will protect them from exploitation!

Message 28 of 31

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Boudicca wrote:

It is happening to me too and O2 have so far just been told the charge will be removed from my next bill. Not good enough becuase how many people will not be noticing this charge? It may only be 42p, but do that to a few thousand customers and someone is on to a nice little earner! O2 need to take action now before customers decide to go to a provider who will protect them from exploitation!

Turn off the subject line in the message settings and do not send messages to email addresses and you won't get charges. 

This is not "a nice little earner" it is user error if you don't understand what you are asking the phone to do..

Currently using:
Message 29 of 31

TechMedia
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, I've just had this same thing happen to me today but there is a twist to add to the confusion.

I didn't send any messages of any kind, at the time the alledged MMS was sent my phone was locked and on the desk in front of me while I was in a meeting. 

Message 30 of 31