Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

extortionate internet charges

Just been landed with a £600 bill for internet usage whilst in US. No message to warn of charges applying. Politely told that it's my job to check on what I'm spending, even though the charges don't actually come through for weeks.
Not happy. Anyone else got mugged in this way?
Anonymous

Did you call O2 customer services before you went away to ask about going international and roaming?

If you did and they did not inform you or gave you the wrong advice then I would call to complain.

If you didn't then they are right, it's pretty common knowledge that roaming charges are high and you did use the data and so you stand to fit the bill.

You can't expect O2 to inform every single customer if their bill goes above a certain limit, it's your responsibility to check your allowance and what you have used.
Topics: 576
Solutions: 3,931

Re: extortionate internet charges

[ Edited ]
Just been landed with a £600 bill for internet usage whilst in US. No message to warn of charges applying. Politely told that it's my job to check on what I'm spending, even though the charges don't actually come through for weeks.

There is plenty of information on international/roaming charges on the o2 website:

http://www.o2international.co.uk/

http://www.o2international.co.uk/standa ... paymonthly

You haven't been mugged, you have failed to check on usage charges (you could have got a roaming bolt on for £20 or £50) so the resposibility lies totally with yourself
Anonymous

Fact is £6 per Mb is a total ripoff and you know it. Of course in every story like this a teenager is involved, so I've only myself to blame for allowing them access. The fact that they incurred most of the bill in a relatively short session makes this feel like a complete mugging to top all muggings. The onus should be on the service provider to advise charges at time of access, not 4 weeks after the event.
Topics: 576
Solutions: 3,931

Fact is £6 per Mb is a total ripoff and you know it.

I couldn't agree more! Which is why the bolt on is recommended if you are going to use these services whilst roaming'

course in every story like this a teenager is involved, so I've only myself to blame for allowing them access.

My sympathies Peter.I know from experience how much teenage children can cost you Smiley Sad
Anonymous

There is no point complaining as the handset has been used for interent. o2 and other networks are a buisness. They are here to make money im afraid.
Anonymous

Re: extortionate internet charges

[ Edited ]

There is plenty of information on international/roaming charges on the o2 website:
http://www.o2international.co.uk/
http://www.o2international.co.uk/standa ... paymonthly
You haven't been mugged, you have failed to check on usage charges (you could have got a roaming bolt on for £20 or £50) so the resposibility lies totally with yourself

The problem is that O2 is putting the responsibility on consumers to ensure that they don't get charged. They have done their part by unloading information onto their webpage and it is the consumer's duty to make calls to their o2 CS for any issues that a consumer would like to ask them. Where is a check and balance system from O2 then?
Anonymous

I understand what you are saying, but at the end of the day, O2 is a business and they will only go as far as they deem necessary, and as any existing regulators will make them go, in terms of publishing information about call costs etc.

Similarly you could pick up your BT landline phone and call an international number; you would not hear any warning message about call charges, nor get a phone call from BT CS warning you that this would cost a lot, instead the other end would just ring, allowing you to rack up high charges if you hadn't checked BT's international call charges (which are a bit more difficult to dig out than O2's roaming charges even).

Again, I understand your frustration and your wish for a bit more of transparency. After all, it would not cost O2 too much to show a default home page every time a user started browsing the net from abroad, to warn of the charges applicable. But there's nobody to force them to do something like that either.
Anonymous

We don't live in a nanny state. We are responsible for our own actions. Your tariff, terms and conditions are quite clear that those charges only apply in this country. If you are going abroad it is clear that different charges apply, which is why O2 tell you how to set up your handset, how to use it abroad and provide information on the roaming charges. If you don't think they are fair charges, then choose an alternative cheaper provider.

I would not want any company monitoring my phone usage (or anything else) on the off chance that I have done something without checking first.