Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSim question - sim swap and number porting

insertnamehere
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Background - I'm currently with Three, and wish to run my contract for another 8 weeks until end of contract keeping my existing number with Three.  I had delivered today an O2 pay monthly sim, as I wanted to take up a good 12 month SIMO deal I saw before it ended.

I note from other responses on this forum there shouldn't be any issue with porting my Three number onto an eSim, but in the O2 store where I collected an eSim pack today, they said that I have to port my number onto the physical SIM, then sim swap to the eSim or the port won't work.

My original plan was to initiate the sim swap now, physical to eSim, make use of the data and keep the temporary number for 8 weeks, then port my Three number to the eSim.  Were the O2 store correct and this won't work?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@insertnamehere 

I'm not aware of any issues porting to an eSim.

Many people have done so in the past.

Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9847 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 2974 Solutions

@insertnamehere 

Load of crock from the Shop im afraid to say, you can port onto an eSim...

--
This is a customer to customer forum, and there is no o2 support on here, and we do not have access to any personal or account information,

We are all customers like you and I don't work for o2,
Message 3 of 12

insertnamehere
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks very much - I suspected the store were misinformed about the matter but as eSims are still not the standard feel better with the confidence of some wiser replies on here!

Message 4 of 12

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Remember to keep the eSim card - it's useful as you can re-install the eSim (only onto the same phone) a few times, if you accidentally delete it, or send it for repair, for example

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 5 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Not sure about waiting 8 weeks?

You will start paying for the sim only on a temporary number immediately

Message 6 of 12

insertnamehere
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I'm aware of this, but found 20GB Unlimited minutes for £10/mo and wanted to take it whilst it was available, a similar offer from uSwitch dropped back to 15GB last week.

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@insertnamehere wrote:

Thanks very much - I suspected the store were misinformed about the matter but as eSims are still not the standard feel better with the confidence of some wiser replies on here!

Define "wiser" 🙄

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 12

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

I suspect that "wiser" in this context means "not chasing a commission for a number port" 

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 9 of 12

insertnamehere
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just an update on this - I set my port for today from Three > O2.  

When I took out the O2 contract I was sent a physical sim, which I then moved onto an eSim which I got from an O2 store a few weeks ago.  I have happily been using the temporary number via the eSim for data in the interim and the physical Three sim for calls.

Anyway, on here all replies indicated there would be no issue porting onto the O2 eSim.  When I booked the port, I made sure to mention to the adviser I was using an eSim.  I lost service on O2 eSim and Three sim at 10am this morning.  Just phoned CS who advised that they have no record of me ever using an eSim and my number has been ported across onto the physical sim they sent me in the post (thankfully I still have it).

Upshot is, the port onto that physical sim hasn't worked either, so now I have no service on the physical or the eSim.  Very frustrating they couldn't just port straight onto the eSim.  After using it for weeks I don't understand why the O2 systems would port back onto the physical sim which had no service and no temporary number attached.  The whole thing is a total balls up and I'm told nobody will do anything to help further until after 6pm tomorrow as they allow a further 24 hours for things to iron out.

Thought I'd share that my experience of porting onto an eSim is definitely not smooth!  I can only hope one of the sims spring into life tomorrow, but I have a feeling there's a deeper problem.

Message 10 of 12