Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM issues when changing phone

Chateau57
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know this is a forum primarily aimed at O2 customers, but would like to bring this matter to the attention of some of the O2 staff who frequent this site as well.

For the past couple of years I have used the eSIM facility with my iPhone. This frees up the Sim tray for another physical (plastic) Sim card which is useful when travelling abroad.

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 14 and sent a request to O2 Customer services via Twitter (and later on Facebook messenger), requesting an eSIM pack for my new phone as per the advice on the O2 website. A couple of days before I received my Sim pack through the post, my current mobile phone was disconnected from the O2 network.

More recently another request for a new eSIM (made via the Call Centre) also resulted in a more or less immediate disconnection of my current phone from the O2 network!!!

Can someone from O2 please explain the logic here? If I request a new eSIM for a new phone, why does that generate an immediate disconnection of my current phone from the network? If I request an eSIM pack from Customer Services and it’s coming through the post, it could be several days, (especially with Christmas, industrial action etc) before it turns up. In the meantime, my current phone is dead.

Why is this happening? I just want an eSIM  to use ready for when my new phone arrives - at a time of my choosing !!!

Ian

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Really sorry you've had this experience @Chateau57. O2 have advised that anyone having this issue should get in touch via social media so that they can review the account and check out what's happened.

Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12397 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1149 Solutions

Yet another instance @Martin-O2 @RafaC @Breanna .

Really need this to get stopped - in effect customer services are cutting people off from the network!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 10

Chateau57
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Worst case I read about (on this forum) is where a customer requested an eSIM from the Call Centre to be sent via the post and waited 10 days for it to turn up. In the meantime, his phone had been disconnected from the O2 network from the day when he first requested an eSIM !!!

if my Sim pack fails to turn up in the post, I’m scared to ask for another one as this will disconnect me from the network again!!!

When my contract is up for renewal next year can’t see me staying with O2 unless they’ve sorted this nonsense out.

Message 3 of 10

Enlli
  • 7172 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1592 Solutions

Thankfully, once everyone is on the new billing system eSIMs will be available via MyO2 

That's no excuse though for the present system.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 10

Chateau57
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the info! I await with bated breath 🤣

Message 5 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147299 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28305 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

Thankfully, once everyone is on the new billing system eSIMs will be available via MyO2 

That's still no use if your MyO2 requests a code to be sent to login as happened to @Chateau57 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 10

Chateau57
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Exactly! 

Message 7 of 10

Enlli
  • 7172 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1592 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Enlli wrote:

That's still no use if your MyO2 requests a code to be sent to login as happened to @Chateau57 

Forgot about that security code. OK if like me you had a working  ordinary SIM. That was only disconnected after I scanned the QR code.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 8 of 10

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Really sorry you've had this experience @Chateau57. O2 have advised that anyone having this issue should get in touch via social media so that they can review the account and check out what's happened.

Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

Message 9 of 10

Chateau57
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

it was someone in the social media team that initiated the problem in the first place and disconnected me from the network! Don’t think this is an individual problem with a particular account. It’s part of a systemwide problem / flawed logic relating to how O2 switch an eSIM from one phone to another. Currently my phone is happily working on the O2 network where I to ask for a new eSIM 30. It will be disconnected almost immediately and I would have to rely on the Christmas post until I got a new eSIM pack to get me back online again.

A  request to Customer Services should not trigger the disconnection of an active phone line !!!

Message 10 of 10