cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does o2 throttle your wifi usage if you reach your data usage?

neonknightmare
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

i get 5gb of data each month. watched the england game the other day in the middle of no where. got a pop up on my phone saying i was about to run out of data. so i turned my data saver thingy on. however today and yesterday my phone has been beyond slow.

when at home or work or family im using the wifi. but its as if its being throttled. im sitting here right now trying to download a 45mb game from the play store. im fully connected to my wifi. it should be an instant download. so i thought maybe the data saver thing was blocking it. so i disabled it. 56 minutes left on a 45mb download.

signing in to my account here it says 4.14 gb free of 5gb left. 21 days remaining. my phone says ive 2.2gb of mobile data used. so which is correct the phone or this site?. so if i do have data left. then what in the blue unholy hell is causing my speeds to be so slow.

does o2 detect when your data is low and throttle your wifi somehow in an attempt to get you to go over your data for more money?

its bad enough they sent me a borked s8 last year that ive had problems with. but now i cant even browse snapchat.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
There's no way o2 can have any influence on your wifi so I'd try rebooting your router and your phone to see if that helps.
Your MyO2 will give the correct usage as it counts uploads and downloads, whereas your phone is most likely just showing downloaded data.
For other possible network issues causing slow data, check your postcode here http://status.o2.co.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
There's no way o2 can have any influence on your wifi so I'd try rebooting your router and your phone to see if that helps.
Your MyO2 will give the correct usage as it counts uploads and downloads, whereas your phone is most likely just showing downloaded data.
For other possible network issues causing slow data, check your postcode here http://status.o2.co.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

neonknightmare
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

its not just my home wifi. its work and family members. so my wifi is fine. its the phone. the useless person on live chat said to updae my phone and delete viruses. i couldnt seem to get through to them my phone is up to date.

2 hours its taken to download a 45mb game off play store. just wow.

Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Well there's no conspiracy theories at work as it's impossible for any network to influence the wifi connections.
Must be something else so check your settings and try turning off the data saver you mentioned as your phone won't use data when connected to wifi anyway, in fact you can turn off mobile data completely.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@neonknightmare What phone are you using? Are you sure you've gone into your settings and turned off your mobile data completely?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 5