Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

debit card being declined

I've had a contract for almost 12 months with o2 for £33.55 a month which i pay through direct debit and have had no problems so far.
Last month the money was about to be taken out but i had insufficient funds and I recieved a letter from my bank, i then paid in the money (which was more than enough for my bill). Yesterday all my outgoing calls, texts and internet were cut off due to my bill not being paid, so today i went to my local o2 store to enquire and ask if I could pay the bill there and then but my card kept getting declined, my mum also offered to use her card for the one off payment but her card was also declined. we went to the bank and both of our cards were valid and both had enough money in to pay the bill, and both worked fine on the atm. I was told in o2 it was something to do with my card or the bank, and after trying at least twice to pay my bill with my card having been declined every time, they said that i had to try again through the automated service in 24 hours.
Im 100% sure theres no problem with my card, but o2 say theres nothing wrong with their system either. Has this happened to anyone before or does anyone have any advice on what to do?
Topics: 25
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

Re: debit card being declined

If its two distinct cards then chances are its either the PoS machine or just one of those things that happen when using cards.
It could be that the bank has put a payment block on it and not cash withdrawls? Might be worth asking the bank what happens to declined DD and card usage as it may not be as you assume.
Anonymous

I have had exactly the same problem this morning, I know for a fact I have enough money in the bank, and more, because I rang them when my card was declined as it is very unusual. I had paid the wrong amount the first time and after going through the automated payment line I realised what I had done and rang again to pay the rest of the balance, which was immediately declined. I spoke to a very unhelpful customer service advisor who couldn't help at all, it was plainly obvious he thought it was my problem, when the facts are, it isn't. I now have to wait 24 hours to try the payment again, meanwhile having no service and currently pregnant, I am high risk and need the phone to be servicable. My dealings with o2 have been quite shocking lately, and having been with o2 for many years due to a good level of customer service I now find myself eagerly anticipating my contract coming to an end. Although I may only be a small voice, easily ignored by o2, I find it such a shame that after all this time of loyalty it ends due to something simple...how a human being speaks to another human being. Shame on you, o2.
Anonymous

Due to a security process they have, to protect people from potential card fraud, o2 can only make two attempts to take a payment by card within 24 hours, so if it gets declined twice, all future attempts that day will automatically get declined so there is no alternative to waiting it out. Also, there is little point in putting money into a bank account after the DD has been declined. Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had any problems making DD payments and when there has been a problem with my card it has been my banks or my own fault. Just sayin' Smiley Wink
One thing though, if you have paid at least half the bill, o2 will restore service for you unless you are a serial bad payer.
Anonymous

Due to a security process they have, to protect people from potential card fraud, o2 can only make two attempts to take a payment by card within 24 hours, so if it gets declined twice, all future attempts that day will automatically get declined so there is no alternative to waiting it out. Also, there is little point in putting money into a bank account after the DD has been declined. Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had any problems making DD payments and when there has been a problem with my card it has been my banks or my own fault. Just sayin' Smiley Wink
One thing though, if you have paid at least half the bill, o2 will restore service for you unless you are a serial bad payer.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "there is little point in putting money into a bank account after the DD has been declined", my DD wasn't declined, my automated payment line payment made by card was declined, I thought that was a different thing altogether? I am not sure if you are quite understanding what I am complaining about, as I have never missed a payment previous to this one in my life, yet o2 won't put it back on unrestricted, it wasn't a DD payment, I had just before paid some of the bill on the same card which I checked with my bank has enough money, therefore not mine or the banks fault. This seems to be a problem that sits squarely with o2.
Anonymous

The op was talking about DD's, not you.
If you are a good payer and you have paid at least half the bill, they will put your phone back on if you ask, a least for a few days until you can pay the balance. If you tried to pay the same payee from the same card twice in quick succession your bank may have stopped it as a precaution, this has happened to me before. O2 does not manage your card or make decisions on whether they are accepted or not, they can only submit a request to the bank.