Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

dad died he paid iPhone bill now can't pay

Hi I hope someone can help.recently my dad passed away and he paid my contract as a gift for my birthday. The phone is in my name but every month he would give me money to pay o2.I don't have any money myself as I have been made redundant from work and now have the mortgage to try
And pay too.please could someone advise on what to do as I'm really scared for my future. I have a sister who could have the phone but I would not want my name on the contract anymore.would she be able to have the phone or could I talk to o2 and explain my situation.any help would be appreciated. thanks
Highlighted
Topics: 576
Solutions: 3,927

First of all, I am extremely sorry for the situation you find yourself in and sympathise deeply for you.

Call customer service and explain the situation to them. Your sister could take the phone from you but the contract would have to remain in your name. You could change the account details if you pay by direct debit but from your post I'm presuming you make manual payments.

I strongly advise you to speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau who can advise you better and maybe able to speak to or write to O2 for you. They have plenty of experience of such unfortunate circumstances.

Maybe someone else can offer you further advice, I sincerely hope so.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: dad died he paid iPhone bill now can't pay

Hi I hope someone can help.recently my dad passed away and he paid my contract as a gift for my birthday. The phone is in my name but every month he would give me money to pay o2.I don't have any money myself as I have been made redundant from work and now have the mortgage to try
And pay too.please could someone advise on what to do as I'm really scared for my future. I have a sister who could have the phone but I would not want my name on the contract anymore.would she be able to have the phone or could I talk to o2 and explain my situation.any help would be appreciated. thanks

Have you spoken to O2 about your redundancy and payment difficulties yet?

The fact your father was paying your bill is irrelevant to O2, the contract is with you.

Personally, I would give O2 a call and see what can be done. I wouldn't mention your father at all because as cold as it may seem, they won't seem him as part of the equation.
Highlighted
Anonymous

First of all, I am extremely sorry for the situation you find yourself in and sympathise deeply for you.
Call customer service and explain the situation to them. Your sister could take the phone from you but the contract would have to remain in your name. You could change the account details if you pay by direct debit but from your post I'm presuming you make manual payments.
I strongly advise you to speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau who can advise you better and maybe able to speak to or write to O2 for you. They have plenty of experience of such unfortunate circumstances.
Maybe someone else can offer you further advice, I sincerely hope so.

You are a nice chap Stevey! When did you get back?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks guys. I'm not expecting a miracle at this point but I will give customer service a call and see what can help.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks guys. I'm not expecting a miracle at this point but I will give customer service a call and see what can help.

Let us know how you get on.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi again. The girl on the phone was really helpful but unless I set up a payment plan which would affect my credit rating she can't do much. My sister could have the contract but it would still be in my name only she'd have to pay. We are trying to raise money to terminate the contract just so it's not hanging over us at 60 a month. Both people I spoke to were understanding but I just wish there could be more done.
Highlighted
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

Sorry to hear about your dad, a very sad time for you.

Try getting in touch with your mortgage lender to see if they can put you on a reduced payment temporarily.

As Steve said contact the CAB who can be very helpful.

If you have a credit card you could pay the phone account from that and pay the minimum on that each month, hopefully you will get a job soon.

Your sister taking on the payments may be the best idea.

Good luck.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Highlighted
Anonymous

depending on how long you've had the contract, you could reduce the tarriff to make it more affordable
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi again. The girl on the phone was really helpful but unless I set up a payment plan which would affect my credit rating she can't do much. My sister could have the contract but it would still be in my name only she'd have to pay. We are trying to raise money to terminate the contract just so it's not hanging over us at 60 a month. Both people I spoke to were understanding but I just wish there could be more done.

£60 per month! Wow!

What kind of phone? iPhone??? Could it be sold to pay some of what is owed?

9 Months into the contract you can reduce it down to the next tarif... which is £45. Then you can drop a tarif each month threreafter..... I think. I am sure the O2 CS went through this with you.

You have got to pick one route and take it as soon as possible to protect your credit.