Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cross border ireland

josephtpalmer58
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Why is there a charge for texting between \northern ireland and republic of ireland..

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Because you are texting internationally.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Because you are texting internationally.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 19

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@josephtpalmer58 Northern Ireland and the Republic are 2 separate countries; Northern Ireland being part of the UK, the Republic being an independent and very separate country . And, as@MI5 states above, charges between the two are classed as international.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 19

dogleap
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Under EU rules texts between EU countries are ow counted as part of your ordinary allowance. Move outside this and there will be an extra charge

Message 4 of 19

Andrew_H
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

except when you are on your home network.

so texts from the UK to the EU are not counted in your allowance, and are charged.

Message 5 of 19

MI5
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
All correct.
Included in alloonly applies whilst roaming within the EU.
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe

Currently using:
Message 6 of 19

josephtpalmer58
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The EU law thing is what I thought was the norm... As for the rest of these replies... Sorry guys, but I certainly do not need either a history or geography lesson,, especially an english rag 

Message 7 of 19

MI5
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
An English flag?
I'm sure you'd fly an Irish flag if you had made it to the World Cup finals too wink

Currently using:
Message 8 of 19

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

@josephtpalmer58 wrote:

The EU law thing is what I thought was the norm... As for the rest of these replies... Sorry guys, but I certainly do not need either a history or geography lesson,, especially an english rag 

Ooh. ...genuine people, all customers,  only trying to help. English rag is quite insulting. You have your answer so I would politely ask you to mark the thread solved and leave this English rag to those who appreciate the help they receive. 

Message 9 of 19

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35933 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions
If you live in a border area in NI, nothing to stop you roaming onto an Irish network with a UK phone and.. Badabing: free texts to anywhere in UK or Europe.

Must be great to live in Luxembourg. 😁
Message 10 of 19