Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

cost / downside backberry tether

Hi,
I've connected my Mac to my Blackberry Perl and been able to download emails over the phone's 3g connection.
There seems to be mixed information out there as to whether this is ok or not or whether this constitutes part of my package or not - though I haven't hacked anything, merely entered the appropriate details. The way I see it, at the end of the day whether the phone uses the data or the mac, what difference?

I have a standard Blackberry package so 500Mb per month. Assuming I don't exceed this should I be expecting any nasty surprises in my bill?
Highlighted
Topics: 295
Kudos: 1,850
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

Re: cost / downside backberry tether

Just check your relevant t&c
Up untill the latest tariffs tethering was against the T7C unless you bought a tethering bolton and that was only available for the iphone.
The new tariffs specifically allow tethering.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

Cheers,
So I may be in breach of my T&C's depending on when I signed the contract (Last July as it happens)
I imagine I could speak to Customer services then and make the necessary adjustments.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Spoke to customer services.
All smoke and mirrors.
Most operators are the same with Blackberry. They quote without specifically saying that there is an additional charge for blackberry services. So whilst I have 500Mb, I don't have tethering.
If I want tethering I'd need to pay more for a bolt-on, only I can't have a bolt-on as the tarrifs have changed.
I can have a new tarriff at virtually the same price that includes 500Mb data, but that wouldn't allow me to use Blackberry services, so I'd have to buy another 500Mb for £10pm at which point I may as well buy a 3g modem on contract and be done with it.
They were also telling me that I'd plough through my 500Mb in a few seconds with my laptop. Aside from the fact that as a techie I find that unlikely (just downloading emails and scanning a few web pages), they're only offering 1Gb anyway. so That'd be 2 x a few seconds then?
I understand O2 have to pay BB £5pm per user so bundle it in the package as data but its a completely different package to iphone/andriod users who get internet data instead and hence can tether I imagine.
Highlighted
Anonymous

It sounds like they've just given you flat-out wrong information. If you move onto one of the new tariffs then you just need one 500mb data bolt-on for Blackberrys, and this now includes tethering.
Also, iPhone and Android customers who signed up for contracts at the same time as you also don't have tethering included - just a standard data package.
Tethering used to be an additional £10 per month on iPhone contracts, but with the new tariffs it's now included free with the standard data bolt-on regardless of what kind of phone you have.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for that.
Its a complete minefield it seems and their own staff don't know whats available.
I think I'll pop into an O2 shop and have a chat. May get more sense out of them if I'm face to face.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I really wouldn't do that. You will just end up getting more confused as the shop staff, who are entirely sales oriented, just give you their own private interpretation. You may get someone who knows this stuff inside out, but you are much more likely to get one over the phone and at east you haven't travelled!
It's only a mi efield where people are still thinking in terms of the old tariffs, the new ones are actually very simple to follow and much better in this respect.
Just look on the O2 website tariffs page, note the name of the tariff and bolt on you want and call up and ask for it. This is what I did. It wasn't exactly smooth, but it was sorted in a day in the comfort of my own home.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks - I did call in - and you were right.
On the upside I have changed my tarrif slightly (cost me another £4 pm admittedly) and I can now "Feather" my blackberry to my laptop. (or can at the next bill date)
I gave up correcting him. Clearly O2 need to do some serious training as he still didn't have a clue what I was on about, even when we'd sorted it.
One thing he did say that I found odd (please clarify) was that with the 500Mb data package I get 500Mb on the phone and an additional 500Mb on teather. Is this right?
The other thing was the access to wifi points. He said I could use places like high street coffee shops with their codes etc, but of course, I always could.
Again, he wasn't the brightest, was clearly trying to bluff me with what little limited knowledge he had (which was less even than my limited knowlegde) so i didn't push the point.
Any link to how this 'included wifi access' works?
cheers
JB
Highlighted
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

Any help?
http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/wifi.html
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Highlighted
Anonymous

He was being a bit of a numbnut. Your 500mb is for the phone OR tethering, in any combination you wish. The wifi access is exactly the same as you had before and not linked to tethering, so still applies to the phone. Tethering is for using the phones 2G/3G connection where you don't have wifi access.
If you haven't already done so I would recommend logging in to your online bill and just checking thatthe tariff and bolt on ARE the ones you asked for before the change goes through, mine was initially wrong and I had to call in and get it amended.