Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

charges for unintentional roaming while on free airport wifi

philipm_london
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Has anyone else had issues with outrageous 02 charges when in transit at an airport? I have had no acceptable solution suggested from the online chat team - and when I was bounced to a supervisor I waited 45 minutes just for 'Lily' to reiterate the same company line and then close the chat. £120 for an hour while in the transit lounge at Singapore airport is robbery! has anyone found away to get 'them' to reduce the charge?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All you can do is call on 202 and beg but if you used it, ordinarily, you need to pay for it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All you can do is call on 202 and beg but if you used it, ordinarily, you need to pay for it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@philipm_london  There's free Wi-Fi in Singapore airport. Why were you connecting through O2?

https://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/facilities-and-services/internet-connection.html

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 7

philipm_london
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I was signed into the free WiFi at Changi but there must have been an interruption in the WiFi service as it defaulted to my roaming and the data was charged to me
Message 4 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Surf smart, as @Bambino says, and turn off your roaming data.

Same thing, but not quite as expensive, happens on the Belfast to Liverpool ferry as it passes in close proximity to the Isle of Man (not included in the list of countries in which you can Roam Like Home) - you lose shipboard WiFi and briefly latch onto Manx Telecom or Sure, and incur both roaming and data charge against your PAYG balance or your Pay Monthly contract.

#conspiracy? 

Message 5 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@philipm_londonYou'll have to explain the circumstances to customer service, prostrate yourself on the floor, and ask for mercy. If you're lucky and get a sympathetic rep when you call, they might give you a break. If not, you'll have to bite the bullet this time and pay the charges. You may have to chalk this one up to an expensive lesson learned.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pgn 

Sounds more like a gap in the satellite spot beam coverage than a conspiracy but hey you never know.

slight_smile

In all seriousness I wouldn't even trust the roaming detection on a phone, it's best to just switch data off if you aren't using it.

Message 7 of 7