cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change to sim only contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi,  i am on a 24 month contract which included a mobile which ends on the 18th April.

I plan to switch to a pay monthly sim only, staying with o2. I believe i have to give 30 days notice to end existing contract. I want to keep my same mobile number, so if i order sim only contract online do they send me a new sim card or just alter billing details and keep sim i've got. I don't want any hassle of changing my number.

Thanks for your replies

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Damn it, i should have thought of this sooner.

so basically o2 have been receiving money for a handset which is already paid off?

i better call them today!

thanks for the replies!!

Message 11 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Unfortunately, yes - Get it changed asap wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 24

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If you've been paying off a handset that's already paid for then you should be looking at some credit from them.

Message 13 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah i think so too, i doubt they will agree but worth a try! thanks guys

Message 14 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the OP is confusing refresh with the old style contracts.

If you have a non refresh contract, at the end of your term you will carry on paying the same rates as you were before. Your contract didn't specifically include an element for the handset and an element for airtime. It was a combined cost in one contract.

It is therefore unlikely you will receive any credit back.

If you are happy with your phone you do not need to order a new tariff online. Call CS free on 202 and speak to Customer Retentions and see what deal they can offer. At the very least you should be offered the sim only rate. You may even get a better deal.

You will need a new sim and CS will send you that as part of the same call.
Message 15 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah okay. Surely though with the cost of handset included though the rate would technically reduce after the phone was paid off. i should have called when it was due i totally didnt think.

I will call now and enquire about sim only, thank you for the help!

Message 16 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous sadly not. Over the years this has been a money spinner for all mobile operators alike.

Please do come back and let us know your outcome.
Message 17 of 24

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hi..still deciding between O2 & giffgaff for a sim only contract. O2 have a good deal which ends on 4th oct, but if i have to give 30 days notice will that make me ineligible for that? x

giphy-3
Message 18 of 24

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No need to give notice to upgrade a current tariff. You can just do a running change.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 24

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
No need to give notice to upgrade a current tariff. You can just do a running change.

cool..thanks @MI5 wink x

giphy-3
Message 20 of 24