cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

big fat rant: appalling customer service and a HUGE bill

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to start by saying that I'm aware my calls and bill is my responsibility. 

Having said that, why do 02 charge such exorbitant fee's for specific countries like Australia & South Africa?

I recently had a death in the family and made calls to family members. I see that where I have called and put down - i.e. on the bill it literally says '2 seconds', they are charging £0,667+VAT... what the?

I have been a customer with 02 for 15 years. I always pay my bill on time and in full, by D/D. My bill has been roughly £40-£60 for around the last approx 3+ years. In August this year I moved and no longer have a landline. Between August and December, my bill has been between roughly £90 - £120. Each month since August, I have received a text warning me that my calling plan bill is high. (I have a calling plan together with a handset plan). I have continued to pay my bill in full and on time.

Well - not for January. No folks, for January there was no warning text and a whopping £420.87 bill!

I called 02, way before my bill was due to be paid, and was met with the most arrogant, rude and presumptious attitude I've possibly ever dealt with, at an institution where I am a long standing customer. He spoke over me, was condescending and an absolute bully. He told me his name was Brian. 

When I asked if there was a way that I can pay it off, I was told I could not speak to the payment plan department until I had agreed that I would pay some money that very same day. (note that my bill was not yet even due) I refused to agree to anything, saying that I wanted all of the information first, and then I would decide if I agreed or not. I was also informed that my phone would be barred (incoming calls and texts only) and that, even although I would be entering a payment plan with them promising to pay everything off, it would effect my credit rating negatively. This seems heavy handed, but I've never been in this situation before - does this seem fair? 

Eventually I asked to be put through to someone else. I was told no one else in the company would tell me any different, so why did I need to speak to anyone else? I got a bit rude at this point and informed him we obviously couldn't get along, that even when imparting bad news to someone, there was a way to do it with common decency and I demanded to be put through to ANYONE else.

The next lady was kind - named Coffee - at a call center in S-Africa. I asked her to put on my notes that I wanted to make a complaint about the way I had been spoken to. She told me she would enter that info. She gave me another option - that she would put my account into dispute for 2 months, if I would pay off the bill in full within 2 months, over 2 payments. 

I was still a bit emotional from my previous dealings with Brian and needed time to think about what was best to do. We agreed she would call back 2 (two) days later. (still within the period before my bill was due)

It's 3 (three) days later and still no call. So I called 02 back. Apparently, I didn't speak to 'Brian' at all - I actually spoke to 'Muhammad' in Glasgow adn there are no notes other than he transfered me to customer service in SA. And there are no notes, or any sign of me having spoken to anyone in South Africa at all. So the kind representative of today can't follow up or investigate my claims because there are no notes on my account. How very convenient for 02.

I say to her: well, I think after 15 years of being a loyal and good customer, even if you wont give me a discount on my extortionate bill (I will accept I made the calls, even although they set precedent by texting me for the previous consecutive 5 months with warnings and at any other time when my bill got near to £80-ish), could you give me even a small discount to sweeten the bitter pill of an extortinate bill, with utterly disgraceful customer service, in order to keep me as a customer? 

Apparently not. All they can offer me today, is a payment plan. With a barred phone. And a black mark on my credit rating.

SO: At this point I'm thinking: since my credit rating will be negatively effected and my phone will be barred, what is the point of making any payment at all?

I know - because I'm a good person and I'm supposed to do the right thing. I made the calls. Even although there are 2 entities in this contract, only I am apparently responsible for it. When I don't get service and can't make calls, or the phone they've sold me is acting up, can I black mark them and get them on a payment plan for refund? Nope - I just have to suck it up. I always do the right thing. 

But why doesn't 02 do the right thing? 

Oh right - it's because they are gazzillionaires, who desperately need the full £420.87 to go on surviving, who got that rich by stepping over (or, as it seems ON) people, catching people out and making it neccessary to complete at least a couple of years of a law degree in order to fully read and understand their bills/contracts/super-fast-babble-must-make-you-aware-over-the-phone-to-tie-you-in-tighter-than-houdini verbal agreements. 

I'm just one tiny person and 02 is a giant. I'm sick of doing the right thing, and coming off second best. 

SHAME ON YOU 02.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are very welcome
Message 11 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No worries mate- good luck slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Just to add my thanks for being so responsive to the advice given. It really was good being able to help someone like yourself  Best of luck  wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to say: thanks for the explanations regards credit ratings - it confirms what I thought was right:

"Brian/Mohammad" told me it would effect my rating negatively - I said that can't be right, because my rating is very good and the point of any payment plan / credit / loan etc etc is that you make an agreement, stick to it/ don't default etc and that's how you effectively build your credit rating. He disagreed. He was such a jerk, I don't know why I believed him - I guess we all make mistakes!

The update?

Even although I called them 7 days prior to the payment date (knowing they request payment a few days before the actual payment date), cancelled my D/D online AND informed them I'd done so, saying they do not have permission to withdraw further monies until we have come to an agreement.

This morning I see they have merrily deducted the full total owed anyway.

I guess I was right, huh? They do whatever the ... they want. You win 02 - I consider myself squashed! Hope you're proud.

I lodged a complaint online before this - says it takes up to 7 days for a response (nothing yet). I will add to that complaint regards the withdrawing funds as above. I wonder if anyone will even bother to respond, now the bill has been stolen - um, I mean paid? (sorry... - I'm just cross!! lol)

Interestingly, the representative I spoke with yesterday informed me that they no longer have a "complaint department" which a customer can speak to - when I asked to speak with someone I could lodge a complaint with. Apparently, if you have a complaint, it must be done online or in writing.

At this stage I'm guessing it's because there are so many complaints they can't hire enough people to man the phones.... hahaha

Got to laugh! And let go. Thanks again for everyone's support and for letting me rant here - it helped.

Go well people. 

Message 14 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the update and no problems re your rant.... (anything to help you feel better) wink

I suppose the 'good thing' is...you are now no longer in debt!

Like you I wouldn't agree with the tactics used by O2 to 'take' the money...but it's done and chapter closed now hopefully.

Time to move on. A retail shopping trip may be in order....Oh sorry, I forgot...no money to do that now....:smileysad:....Next month maybe ? wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am intrigued here @SLP1975. You said you cancelled your direct debit online. Was that on your o2 account or with your bank? If it was with the latter then the direct debit should have failed.

Of course, you can reverse the direct debit but if you can afford the payment I wouldn't recommend it as knowing how well o2 perform these actions you just know they will screw it up and guess who ends up sorting out the mess. .....
Message 16 of 17

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Typically really of any large faceless corporation who forget that they wouldn't be anywhere without the customers that they treat like crap 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 17