cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

being charged for data I haven't used

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since September 2012 I've been getting charged for data while in France when I know I haven't been using it.

Phone is an HTX One X all auto updates turned off, data roaming turned off unless I want to use it, It's not my first smart phone so I am fairly savvy re: the do's and don'ts, to be honest the data service in France has such a poor connection that I usually wait until I'm at my hotel or a restaurant and use the free wifi. 

I'm a middle aged man over there on business and use it mainly to check emails or a quick look at ebay or facebook, I'm not on it for hours at a time on youtube, watching movies or playing games. 

When I initially had the problem in September I thought it had been taken care of but then in October I was in Paris again having arrived late on the morning of 19/10/12.

At 11:41 on 20/10/12 I had a text "You've now hit your 100MB limit, if you want to use more you'll need to increase your monhtly spending limit to £120 (200mb) by texting DATALIMIT200 to 23336. For terms se www.o2.co.uk/terms

I called o2 cs and spoke to a guy called Shaun who checked my usage and said there was no way I'd used that amount and that it must have been a glitch and that I should ignore it but let him know if I get any more.

At 12:54 on 20/10/12 I had a text..."You've spent £60 on data in Europe. We won't charge you anymore than £120 on your current bill and you can use up to 300MB.

I was busy at the time so couldn't call o2 cs right away and then 13 minutes later, the phone having been in my pocket unused, I get another text... at 13:07 on 20/10/12 "You've spent £120 on data in Europe, We won't charge you anymore on your current bill but we'll stop the data service if you hit your 300MB limit

So I now called o2 cs again and as luck would have it I spoke to the same guy, Shaun. He said he would look into it and could I phone back tomorrow and he'd leave an urgent note on my record in case he wasn't there.

As you can imagine after this I was very wary of using my data but the next morning I get a text at 13:42 on 21/10/12 "You've nearly hit your 300MB limit. If you want to use more you'll need to remove your monthly spending limit by texting NODATALIMIT to to 23336. For terms see  www.o2.co.uk/terms

So I call again and even though I'm 99.99% certain it was the same guy on the phone he said his name was Simon, I went through it again with him and said there's obviously a problem with it at our end somewhere and that I should do the text NODATALIMIT thing and sort it out when was back in England a couple of days later.

Well I've been trying to sort it out ever since but still can't get it resolved, a supervisor did say she was going to put a Network trace on the fault or something and get back to me but nobody ever has.

Then this morning I get an email from o2 saying my bill was in arrears to the tune of £327.30, which merely confirms my suspiscions that O2 had in fact been doing nothing to sort out my problem as they really don't give a damn about their customers.

I still have all the above texts on my phone should anybody want me to fwd them.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I can't imagine how anyone could be so irresponsible as to advise you to send a NODATALIMIT text knowing full well it would rack up those type of charges. I would be submitting a formal complaint:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I can't imagine how anyone could be so irresponsible as to advise you to send a NODATALIMIT text knowing full well it would rack up those type of charges. I would be submitting a formal complaint:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that, complaint procedure started but I'm not optimistic . I've phoned several times but just get the same parrott fashion scripted response, "well if it says you've used the data then you must have"

just been in a chat window with complaints and I got exactly the response I was expecting...

"

Suni: I've checked that your account and can see that you have previous balance of £240.25. Your current bill charges are £129.09.

Suni: Our billing system is automated and the data is taken from your SIM card which is temper proof. So, I assure you that the charges are correct."

Message 3 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I thought O2 for Europe had O2 travel .

which bring any data cost down.

this has to be some sort of data leak

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Only use the email complaints path the chat is useless in my honest opinion 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

While I was in the chat window I had a phone call from a suprvisor in complaints, she looked back over my case and saw where, in November, another supervisor had told me she would have a network investigation done but nothing was ever started!. She also apologised for the frustration and that it was all taking so long and said she would start a NI immediately and should have the results by tomorrow afternoon when she will call me again... I will keep you posted.

Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

have you turned off data roaming and 3g? sorry if you have already answered this but thought I would ask.  Also I find it hard to believe they say things like,

there was no way I'd used that amount and that it must have been a glitch and that I should ignore it but let him know if I get any more.

that is so irresponsible as the system may not be up to date with what you have used and what is showing.

hope you get it sorted.

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I learnt long ago to only turn data roaming on when I need to use it slight_smile

Thanks for all the support

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well O2 completely ignored my pleas and said there's no possible way that I could be charged for data I haven't used so I have to pay the bill.

I also found it interesting that a supervisor told me that there are logs kept for every customer service conversation but they couldn't find the one where 'Shaun/Simon/Whoever' told me to text NODATALIMIT.

Neither could anybody tell me how it's possible to use £60 worth of data in 13 minutes while the phone is in my pocket with roaming switched off.

My plea of how it's strange that while I've been making trips to Europe for a long time but all this only started when I got a new HTC One X also fell on deaf ears, just kept getting the same scripted response read to me over and over.

I refused to pay my bill until this was sorted out and they did cut me off so as I need my phone while I'm travelling in Europe, much to my disgust, I've had to pay the bill. Can anybody suggest any other way I could continue with this.

I've had to keep paying as my contract runs until August 2013, I'm a long standing O2 customer and have never missed a payment and after this issue I will definitely be moving to another provider when my contract ends.

Message 10 of 10