Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

automatic termination of contract?

If you have a contract e.g. 18 months, and at the end of it you don't renew and don't call them to cancel it, does it automatically terminate or will O2 keep taking money each month after the 18 months is up?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: automatic termination of contract?

oh and i've not been using the phone or contract for the last couple of months, but i think my contract should have ceased with effect from 05/03/2011 but i have just been sent a bill for the full amount £35.74 which will be coming out of my account on the first of april. my contract renewal date (as a silver tier customer) was 05/02/2011 so in theory contract should cease as of 05/03/2011
Highlighted
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

Contracts don't have an end date, just a minimum period, they continue on a monthly basis requiring 30 days notice to finish.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Highlighted
Anonymous

Phone contracts aren't for a fixed term, they are for a minimum term. This means if you sign up for, say, 18 months you must pay for at least that long. If you want to cancel after 9 months you have to pay for the remaining 9 (as your phone was subsidised based on term), but at the end of the 18 months you can choose from the available options, which are to renew for another fixed term and get another phone on it, cancel it and not use it anymore, or leave it running on the original term (or change to sim only, but this is a recent addition).
It sounds as if you have not contacted the network to cancel and so yours has simply run on. If that's the case you can call up and give 30 days cancellation notice if that's what you want to do.
Phones and/or sims don't just stop working at the end of the minimum term or the network would be swamped with complaints from people who are perfectly happy with what they have.
Highlighted
Anonymous

thanks folks, will give them a call tomorrow morning to officially close my account Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Topics: 25
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

Careful not to cancel the direct debit until you receive a zero bill which will be in a month or two's time. Otherwise you might find a letter or worse, a debt collector at the door.
BTW, you can also ask to transfer the number to PAYG once the term ends. You'll get a new sim though.