Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Re: annoyed when did the 1471 service end

It ended on 24th November. They scrapped it because it takes up lots of network capacity and hardly anyone uses it. A good alternative is to turn on call alert by dialling 1710, it sends you a text with the callers number every time someone tries to call you but can't get through. Bare in mind if you use call alert you can't use voicemail...it's one or the other.

network capacity - in what way ? will this mean better coverage etc

It just means that there will be more space on the network to carry things such as calls etc. Won't have any affect on coverage.

less dropped calls, quicker texts stuff like that... why does 1471 affect that then ?
Anonymous

It ended on 24th November. They scrapped it because it takes up lots of network capacity and hardly anyone uses it. A good alternative is to turn on call alert by dialling 1710, it sends you a text with the callers number every time someone tries to call you but can't get through. Bare in mind if you use call alert you can't use voicemail...it's one or the other.

network capacity - in what way ? will this mean better coverage etc

It just means that there will be more space on the network to carry things such as calls etc. Won't have any affect on coverage.

If hardly anyone uses it how does it take up that much network capacity?? It's just a phonecall. To be honest, the fact that call notification doesn't work with voicemail makes 1471 very useful.
Anonymous

If hardly anyone uses it how does it take up that much network capacity?? It's just a phonecall. To be honest, the fact that call notification doesn't work with voicemail makes 1471 very useful.

agree, i liked 1471
Anonymous

I am not happy that 1471 has ended either! I can't really see that it's such a huge problem that it was using up the network capacity that it was. The service has been there right from when I had my very first mobile phone on BT Cellnet all those years ago! If it was using up that much space then surely BT Cellnet would have scrapped it back then?
With another free service removed.. It's just another way for O2 to rip us off. I'm not happy that Voicemail is not free anymore on pay monthly tariff's either. I have stopped using my BlackBerry and wanted to remove the BlackBerry bolt on.. O2 FORCED ME to move to the new tariff to get rid of the bolt on and replace it with the standard web bolt on. I think they're going down hill fast!
Anonymous

I did not realize that this had happened until today. I am very annoyed. Previous posts on this subject have said it all. After having had a number of wrong numbers and voice mail messages in the past, I used to check 1471 before I called 901 back in the peak time. Now I can't do that. Also if I activate 1710, all my callers get charged for nothing. Therefore I have made the decision to turn off voice mail as well as 1410. If anyone wants me that urgently they can try other means, or text me...............
Anonymous

I have complained to O2 about it. I doubt that I will get a reply.. Hopefully others will put in complaints too!
complaintsreviewservice@o2.com

if anyone else wishes to complain!
Topics: 576
Solutions: 3,931

I have complained to O2 about it. I doubt that I will get a reply.. Hopefully others will put in complaints too!
complaintsreviewservice@o2.com

if anyone else wishes to complain!

You have an extra letter in the link, it's complaint not complaints.
Anonymous

oops! type-o
Anonymous

If you think the removal of 1471 is bad....

.... they've replaced the Speaking Clock provided by BT with their own, and it just does not sound right, you know?!?
Anonymous

I have complained to O2 about the 1471 removal, they responded by giving me £40 off my next bill. Directly ignoring the questions I've asked. I feel like all they've done is paid me off to shut up! Lol.
I have just called the speaking clock, the O2 one sounds weird but at least the service still exists unlike 1471 which has died a death!