cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advance line rental?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, wonder if anyone can assist please.

I recently changed my iphone 4 to an iphone 5. My old monthly contract was for £21.99  and the new tarriff is £27 per month. For info I changed to the new tarriff

mid-month but on the day the upgrade was available.

I have just had my first bill since the change of iphone and I was shocked to find it was £30 when the new tarriff is £27 per month.

I had one of those 'live chat' conversations on line and I am still confused as to their explanation. They stated I'd have to pay the first month's line rental in advance?  "so your first bill will show 2 charges = the cost of your tariff before we printed off your first bill - and the cost of your next month's tariff, in advance".

I explained I was not a new customer and this was not my "first bill".  They quoted some

T & C's at me and said they gave me £8 back on my old 'advance line rental' and then charged the new advance rental.

As far as I can see I have lost out on this new deal. I have been a loyal customer of a monthy O2 mobile contract for over 10 years and in the past the bill, following an upgraded phone,   came in with just the slight increase of tarriff - none of this 'advance line rental'.

I am very confused - any advice please.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You will always have paid one month in advance. Because you upgraded mid month O2 will have refunded your account for the remainder of the billing cycle.

You would then pay for the last part of the billing month at the new rate plus your new monthly tariff in advance which is why the bill is slightly higher.

For example:

Your old tariff works out at around 75p per day. If you had 12 days remaining they would have credited your account with £9.00.

Your new tariff works out about 90p per day. So you would have been charged 12 days at 90p = £10.80 plus your new tariff of £27.00 minus the £9.00 credit which would equate to a bill of £28.80.

If you had more days to your billing date then obviously you would have to adjust the figures.

Your tariff will be normal on your next bill.

Hope this makes sense.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You will always have paid one month in advance. Because you upgraded mid month O2 will have refunded your account for the remainder of the billing cycle.

You would then pay for the last part of the billing month at the new rate plus your new monthly tariff in advance which is why the bill is slightly higher.

For example:

Your old tariff works out at around 75p per day. If you had 12 days remaining they would have credited your account with £9.00.

Your new tariff works out about 90p per day. So you would have been charged 12 days at 90p = £10.80 plus your new tariff of £27.00 minus the £9.00 credit which would equate to a bill of £28.80.

If you had more days to your billing date then obviously you would have to adjust the figures.

Your tariff will be normal on your next bill.

Hope this makes sense.

Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks jonsie. Breaking it down like that did help but I have another question ... so if I leave O2 on 3rd October 2015 which is the last day of this contract, do they then pay back that 'advance line rental'payment??

This is a very helpful forum. Previous answers to other posts often solved another query too.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 145114 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27833 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
so if I leave O2 on 3rd October 2015 which is the last day of this contract, do they then pay back that 'advance line rental'payment??

Yes, they do, usually 14 days after the account is closed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 6

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Yes they will make the adjustment for you and you should find yourself in credit. This is normally paid back into your account....unless you upgrade again and the cycle continues.

Message 5 of 6

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
This is a very helpful forum. Previous answers to other posts often solved another query too.

Keep coming back to see us! slight_smile

Check out the Off Topic section when you are bored.

For example:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/Joke-Thread/m-p/296526#U296526

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 6