cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yearly upgrade programme

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

So I've got a Samsung Galaxy s7 on this contract and come March I can upgrade to the next latest phone, however bit of a problem.

I cracked the screen (walking upstairs to buy an iPad of all things), now it's so insane the cost of repairing the screen and my insurance would give me a refurbished phone so that'd make the programmer void, but the screen works perfectly fine with the scratches. Can I still upgrade or have I renedered the point of this contract absolutely useless? I was told I'd have to repair the screen myself or pay the decide part of the contract off myself like a normal contract, is this the case?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

All replacement phones are refurbs so I don't see it being a problem?

Not all insurance claims are settled by issuing of refurbished handsets, a lot are but not all, mine was a brand spanking new iPhone 6S plus, when claimed..

If you are insured by o2 then if the device is replaced then the imei is passed backed to o2, and they update the account, I confirmed this with an insurance claim with a cracked screen.

However if it is not 100% so grade A then this kicks in, and you pay the difference..

Section 12 of the T&C's of the yearly upgrade clearly state:

Existing Phones must meet the minimum condition requirements set out in the Your Device section of the terms and conditions at O2recycle.co.uk without any reduction for damage i.e. the 100% criteria to be eligible for trade in.

At the moment the refund difference is about 50-75% of the value depending on the crack.

I would suggest replacing it under your insurance, if not o2, then letting o2 know that you have had it replaced.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 11 of 14

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
How do you know the refund difference if you don't mind me asking?
Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can confirm it is Refurb with my insurance (Natwest).
Message 13 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm so peed off at this contract paying extra for the purpose of yearly upgrade and now it's rendered useless, they didn't state cracked screen would mean I can't do it, I know it says in Tje T&C and its my fault for dropping it and not having good insurance. So annoyed about it and the terrible service and mis information from the chat who said it'd still be ok when I asked them.
Message 14 of 14