Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yearly upgrade & new iPhone XS

hoopheid
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got the iPhone X last year on release day with o2 and because Apple delayed and didn't release the new phones until November last year, I'm wondering if this will knock the yearly upgrade out of order this time. The new iPhones are due to be announced tomorrow and likely going on sale next Friday - but my o2 says that I now can't upgrade until the end of October because they delayed the phone launch last year.

Is there any way around this without having to just pay off your full device plan? I don't want to wait and keep upgrading in November every year now when the new phones are going to come out in September again.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

hoopheid
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous Just did and the person said that I'd need to wait until November. Kinda rubbish as it will have a knock on effect every year now unless I just don't upgrade this year. 

Message 11 of 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I have tagged @Martin-O2 to this thread. He is currently preparing FAQ's for the release of the iPhone(s) and hopefully will be able to advise further.

No point in further speculation until he responds.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for the mention @Cleoriff smiling 

@hoopheid No detail on how this will work yet but we will have more information after tomorrows event. I'll give you a shout once we have some info around how it's all going to work this year. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 13 of 20

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You always have the option of selling your phone at anytime and using that money to pay off your device plan. It can be sold anywhere and not restricted to recycling with o2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Thanks for the mention @Cleoriff smiling 

@hoopheid No detail on how this will work yet but we will have more information after tomorrows event. I'll give you a shout once we have some info around how it's all going to work this year. 

Thanks @Martin-O2 wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hoopheid Sell your current phone to CEX & get a good deal for it then use that money to help pay off your current device plan then get your new phone & you should be good to go

Message 16 of 20

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

We said the yearly upgrade would be a problem due to the waiting time for the phones. The only option apart from selling the phone yourself is to call customer service. I would do that now to see what their solution is, rather than wait until the phone lines can't cope with this years panic over availability.

Message 17 of 20

hoopheid
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie I did but they can't really tell me anything because the event hasn't actually happened yet. All of the trusted Apple news sources though saying that the new phones will almost certainly go on sale this Friday with a release date of the 21st.

Message 18 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
This Friday is the 14th not the 21st so if that’s correct then it will be next week that the phones will be on sale but pre orders will likely be on the 14th
Message 19 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for posting about Apple! We’ve locked this thread as we’re keeping the conversation in one place this year so please drop in to our Apple Megathread and join the discussion there!

To add, check out the FAQ section in the megathread also in case your upgrade-related question is covered there. slight_smile

Q. Due to low stock last year my yearly upgrade (YUP) date is after the new iPhone launch date. Can I upgrade before then?

A. So long as you’ve seen out at least 12 months of your term, you will be able to upgrade from Friday 14 September and subject to meeting any other applicable terms of the promotion.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 20 of 20