Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yearly upgrade & new iPhone XS

hoopheid
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got the iPhone X last year on release day with o2 and because Apple delayed and didn't release the new phones until November last year, I'm wondering if this will knock the yearly upgrade out of order this time. The new iPhones are due to be announced tomorrow and likely going on sale next Friday - but my o2 says that I now can't upgrade until the end of October because they delayed the phone launch last year.

Is there any way around this without having to just pay off your full device plan? I don't want to wait and keep upgrading in November every year now when the new phones are going to come out in September again.

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for posting about Apple! We’ve locked this thread as we’re keeping the conversation in one place this year so please drop in to our Apple Megathread and join the discussion there!

To add, check out the FAQ section in the megathread also in case your upgrade-related question is covered there. slight_smile

Q. Due to low stock last year my yearly upgrade (YUP) date is after the new iPhone launch date. Can I upgrade before then?

A. So long as you’ve seen out at least 12 months of your term, you will be able to upgrade from Friday 14 September and subject to meeting any other applicable terms of the promotion.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122364 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@hoopheidI'm not sure how this will affect your upgrade. I will ask one of our community managers to  advise further @Martin-O2 @Marjo , (They were both here during the last launch)

As far as I recall, the iPhone 8 was released on the 22nd September and the iphone X a month later. I would imagine if you are going for the XS it would require a wait...If they stagger the release as they did last year..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 20

hoopheid
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Cleoriff. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position as everyone got the iPhone X at the same time last year.

Message 3 of 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122364 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I edited my post above @hoopheid. I would say if Apple stagger the release of the two phones this year (as they did last year) and if you wanted the XS, you would have to wait until that one was released?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well hopefully that won’t happen again or o2 should make an allowance to make some leniency but that likely won’t happen
Message 5 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122364 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Well hopefully that won’t happen again or o2 should make an allowance to make some leniency but that likely won’t happen

Well it was a bit of a mess last year....many people complained they had the 8 and then a month later the X was released and they would have gone for that one. I suppose it depends whether they are released together or not. We have no official dates as yet?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only official date Is the announcement at 6pm tomorrow night then if my guess is correct iOS 12 gets released next Wednesday the 19th then new iPhone Friday the 21st

Message 7 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122364 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

You may be right but due to the 'mess' last year I will wait for 'official' confirmation wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 20

hoopheid
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's my point @Anonymous - if the phone is released on the 21st, people who got the iPhone X on the annual upgrade scheme won't be able to upgrade as last year's phone came out in November. A bit annoying.

Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hoopheid You will have to take it up with O2

Message 10 of 20