Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Witholding payment until repairs

Hi,

I've had a simple screen replacement for a W960i with O2 for 28 days, after an initial mistake on the 23rd of January.

No word on any replacement.

I have a £50 bill for this month.

I am withholding payment until the simple replacement, which would have cost myself £50 and a lunch hour to replace.

Presumably this will have no change in how fast my repairs are, but when will they cut me off?
Anonymous

Not sure what you mean.

Are you paying for the repair? Is this £50 for the repair or your monthly tariff?

If it's the repair, then IMHO it can't harm your credit history to withhold payment till the repairs have been completed.

However, if the £50 is for your monthly contract, not paying it may affect your future credit rating and will eventually result in your account being suspended. So I'd advise against it

SV Smiley Happy
Anonymous

I'd pay up and argue it later with o2.

I'd assume you've had your sim card all the way through, and the monthly tariff is just for the use of the sim card and network service (your minutes and texts, etc). The phone was a freebie to entice you to take the contract.
Anonymous

Agree about credit history getting damaged and all the above.

I would email Customer Services and ask to receive a credit/refund for the period I was without a phone (if I wasn't using my SIM card on another phone that is).
Topics: 580
Solutions: 4,306

Re: Witholding payment until repairs

I am withholding payment until the simple replacement, which would have cost myself £50 and a lunch hour to replace.
Presumably this will have no change in how fast my repairs are, but when will they cut me off?

I really would not advise going down this route. As you are aware, if o2 do not receive your payment, they will disconnect you and you will all sorts of credit issues which will be posted on your credit file and delays on your service until your payment clears. You will still have had your sim card so o2 will argue that you are still receiving the service they provide.
Anonymous

I'd assume you've had your sim card all the way through, and the monthly tariff is just for the use of the sim card and network service (your minutes and texts, etc). The phone was a freebie to entice you to take the contract.

I don't understand the logic here. Simplicity tariffs are considerably cheaper than tariffs with the same montly allowance and have phone included, therefore the phone is not a freebie.
Anonymous

I don't understand the logic here. Simplicity tariffs are considerably cheaper than tariffs with the same montly allowance and have phone included, therefore the phone is not a freebie.

That's true in essence.

However, the phone provided on a phone tariff is seperate from the airtime contract. You can take the phone provided but use another.

o2 have a responsibility to have the phone repaired in its guarantee period, but that's all. They will provide the airtime contract whether you can access it or not. It's the consumers responsibility to make sure they can.

So, even though the provided phone is in for repairs that doesn't prevent the OP from using another handset to connect to the network (presuming the SIM card was removed as it should have been of course).

Therefore withholding payment of an airtime contract will only cause problems for the OP, as o2 are honouring that contract - the service is still being supplied.

SV
Anonymous

I've now been disconnected.

They have had my phone for 6 weeks, 10% of a contract length I was pushed into by not having free internet access as an option with 12 months being without Bolt Ons.

My gripe is that the £50 could have been spent getting the phone fixed in the space of a lunch hour independently.
Anonymous

[ Edited ]
Update after basically saying I wanted an update on when it might be repaired as it had been held for 10% of a contract I only took out to get a decent phone with wireless and they inform me they can't repair it.

This was via email, but I don't understand how they can't switch out a touch screen I was quoted £50 'there and then' plus an hour or so to do by a local store. Maybe something inside is gone, but the touch screen function still work. A simple LCD crack.

The replacements are probably refurbs themselves:

Nokia N95 silver - http://www.nokia.co.uk/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_655781

Sony Ericsson K850i - http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/product ... c=en&cc=gb

Samsung F480 - http://uk.samsungmobile.com/mobile-phon ... view?kind=

"If you please review these phones and select which would suit your needs best, once you decide give our returns and repairs department a call to inform of your selection."

My 'needs' are wireless and music which none of these cover.

I am extremely frustrated but at the same time not in the least bit surprised.
Anonymous

the N95 has wireless and music