Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Will my iphone Pay Monthly bill go down once 18 months is up

Hi there,

My understanding of the iPhone Pay Monthly tariffs is that while you have to buy the handset (on most tariffs), you're not paying the full price, which is built into your monthly payments. Therefore it follows that at the end of the agreed period, O2 will have received the balance of the phone payment - QED, the monthly tariff should drop to reflect that.

I bet it doesn't, though, right? So, my question is:

- does the tariff drop after the initial sign-up period (18 months, 24 months, whatever)
- if not, why not?

Cheers.
Highlighted
Topics: 295
Kudos: 1,849
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,312

It stays the same.

But you can swap to a simplicity tariff on a monthly basis (There is a special iphone one if you ring up retentions)
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

As I suspected - thought they could get that one past me did they? HA! I'll check out this Simplicity of which you speak. Do I still get all my data and good rates on messages and calls?
Highlighted
Anonymous

As I suspected - thought they could get that one past me did they? HA! I'll check out this Simplicity of which you speak. Do I still get all my data and good rates on messages and calls?

Go to retentions and say you want the Simplicity 20 for iPhone deal.

£20 a month, and you get 1200 texts, 600 mins, all data, wifi/cloud, and Visual Voicemail. The same functions as your contract now, but better texts and mins, for £15 month less!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Wow. That's rather good. Shame I'll only have it from March till June when the new iPhone comes out and I go galloping back to O2 to upgrade! Cheers.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Will my iphone Pay Monthly bill go down once 18 months i

Hi there,
My understanding of the iPhone Pay Monthly tariffs is that while you have to buy the handset (on most tariffs), you're not paying the full price, which is built into your monthly payments. Therefore it follows that at the end of the agreed period, O2 will have received the balance of the phone payment - QED, the monthly tariff should drop to reflect that.
- does the tariff drop after the initial sign-up period (18 months, 24 months, whatever)
- if not, why not?
Cheers.

The tariff doesn't really have to drop at all. When you take a contract out, o2 do subsidize the price of the handset (which if actually alot) and then they obviously make this back in the money each month. They will have made back the money for the handset. If you do not wish to have a new handset (where a similar deal will be agread), you could move to a simplicity tariff, spreak to retentions about this as they can offer an iPhone simplicity wheras the upgrades department can't. £20 will give you 600 minutes, 1,200 texts and unlimited web and wifi for £20 a month.
Highlighted
Anonymous

It's described as an "Airtime contract" in the T&C's and the phone is covered in a seperate agreement. Hence you are paying for access to the O2 network via any mobile phone device of your choosing for a set price.

Which is why O2 lock the phone of course. Abolsutely nothing to do with recouping handset subsidy through the line rental Smiley Wink

(Mind you, I'm not criticising this strategy - otherwise we'd have to pay a lot more for our phones)
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Will my iphone Pay Monthly bill go down once 18 months i

Hi there,
- if not, why not?
Cheers.

The tariff doesn't really have to drop at all. When you take a contract out, o2 do subsidize the price of the handset (which if actually alot) and then they obviously make this back in the money each month. They will have made back the money for the handset. If you do not wish to have a new handset (where a similar deal will be agread), you could move to a simplicity tariff, spreak to retentions about this as they can offer an iPhone simplicity wheras the upgrades department can't. £20 will give you 600 minutes, 1,200 texts and unlimited web and wifi for £20 a month.

Yeah I know, that's what they said above Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Anonymous

It's described as an "Airtime contract" in the T&C's and the phone is covered in a seperate agreement. Hence you are paying for access to the O2 network via any mobile phone device of your choosing for a set price.

Which is why O2 lock the phone of course. Abolsutely nothing to do with recouping handset subsidy through the line rental Smiley Wink
(Mind you, I'm not criticising this strategy - otherwise we'd have to pay a lot more for our phones)

Oh come on, that's just a conniving way of separating the phone from the tariff so that come the end of the tariff they have an excuse to keep charging the same monthly price. There's no way you can argue that the price of the phone isn't directly tied to how much you're going to pay per month and for how long - they are inextricably linked. Furthermore, O2 have even said in so many words that the handsets from the 3G onwards are subsidised whereas the original was not and that's why you had to pay a lot more for it. It's why you can't upgrade the 3G or 3GS mid-contract without buying out the remainder of your contract period.

The phone is subsidised by the monthly tariff, therefore when the monthly contract ends you should get your monthly payments reduced accordingly automatically. The fact you don't isn't surprising, but the excuse they use is just that: an excuse.

That's cool though, I'm not daft enough to fall for their tricksy wording, so when my contract period ends I'll get mine onto the Simplicity Plan until it's time to upgrade again.

Cheers all!
Highlighted
Anonymous

simplicity package = NO FREE UPGRADE!!!

Just to let you know, if you change to the simplicity tarrif you are 'giving up your right to a free upgrade', and therefore either have to pay well over the odds for the upgrade or wait a further 18 months, they have just conned me by doing this...I am now stuck with the original iphone for another 18 months unless I pay hundreds of pounds

My phone does not even work any where near fully any longer- Mis sold service and npot happy...DO NOT DO THE SAME AS I DID!!!