cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my current insurance cover new phone bought with insurance payout?

sonisandwich
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My phone got stolen while abroad 3 months after I purchased a 36 month contract. My O2 insurance didn't cover theft, but I had travel insurance and now finally my insurance claim paid me the cash. I had the iPhone 11 Pro Max, but I'd like to purchase a 11 Pro rather than the bigger model as I just found it too big to hold and hard to type on. 

1. So I'm still currently paying off the contract, but will it mess with my current O2 insurance (protection cover only) if I buy a different model? Is insurance tied to a specific device, or will it cover my new phone as well? 

2. I'm also considering buying a refurbished phone, as my insurance only paid out £1000 (there was a maximum cap on device payouts), and the Pro Max phone is more expensive new, another reason I'm opting for a slightly cheaper phone. Will buying a refurbished phone be covered? 

T.I.A.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@sonisandwich 

You have to let O2 insurance know when you change device Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 3

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Your present insurance won't cover the new phone. You need to cancel it

you need to call

Everything is taking longer due to the lockdown. Call centres and social distancing means limited staff to handle all the queries. Patience needed I'm afraid.
Other numbers to try
0800 977 7337
0800 587 4005
0800 0901808
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Coronavirus-Covid-19-Community-Help-and-Su...

Message 3 of 3