Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous
Accepted Solution

Will lowering a tariff when signing up reduce the deposit

Hi

This is my first post, hoping someone can answer this.

I applied for a o2 contract, was asked for a £475 deposit on an iphone 6, £53 a month plan. I've never had credit before in my life

My question is, if I went on a cheaper tariff, with a cheaper phone, say a lumia 735 etc, would there be a less deposit.

I know you can't comment on individual circumstances, but as a rule, if the price plan is cheaper, would the desposit be less

Many thanks

Anonymous

Re: Will lowering a tariff when signing up reduce the deposit

I would imagine that with a cheaper handset, the deposit would be less. Having little to no credit history shouldn't allow O2 to sting you for a ridiculous deposit, despite the iPhone 6 being one of the most highly (read 'over') priced handsets.

Topics: 580
Solutions: 4,257

Topics: 765

Yes certainly look for a cheaper handset. The initial down payment will be less and so will the monthly repayments. You can always find something to suit your individual  needs. Best of luck Smiley Wink

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi

This is my first post, hoping someone can answer this.

I applied for a o2 contract, was asked for a £475 deposit on an iphone 6, £53 a month plan. I've never had credit before in my life

Hi @Anonymous  - just for clarification, I take it the £53 a month plan relates to what is now called air time.  Were you also asked for a monthly sum (in addition to the £475 deposit) for the handset, or was the £475 a one-off total with no monthly payment involved? 

Anonymous

Hi

The £53 monthly was for the phone and airtime on o2 refresh (£20 and £33) with £475 deposit and no upfront cost for the phone

Thanks

Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi

The £53 monthly was for the phone and airtime on o2 refresh (£20 and £33) with £475 deposit and no upfront cost for the phone

Thanks

I see.  Now I am totally confused @Anonymous as the O2 site shows the iPhone 6 "from £48 a month and £0.00 up-front cost" .  

Anonymous

It was a 64gb iphone

Topics: 580
Solutions: 4,257

The deposit is returned after 3 months payments are made in full and on time.

Topics: 765

To answer your first question @Anonymous  if you went for a cheaper handset the upfront cost would be lower.

If you want refresh then this is only available on O2...

If any other tariff is not a deal breaker then you could shop around at places like carphone warehouse Smiley Wink

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker