Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Will it be meltdown at Midnight for Networks??

Now as we are almost in 2009 i wonder if the phone networks will go into meltdown again at midnight tonight??

What I would like to know is why does this happen each year and why cant the networks sort it out so it dont happen.
Anonymous

its not even 9.30pm yet and my text messages arent getting delivered, usually my phone beeps after the message has been sent, that has stopped for some reason.
Anonymous

My phone hasnt been giving me a balance after texts all day. is this the same for anyone else?
Anonymous

Re: Will it be meltdown at Midnight for Networks??

What I would like to know is why does this happen each year and why cant the networks sort it out so it dont happen.

Because the networks are stretched beyond capacity
Because it would cost millions to sort it out.
Because if it was sorted more millions would be lost in equipment that is not used for 364 days of the year.

Of course - if you would like to see your line rental double to pay for it Smiley Very Happy
Anonymous

My phone hasnt been giving me a balance after texts all day. is this the same for anyone else?

This is happening to me, will it come back soon?
Anonymous

The mobile networks switch off realtime billing for Hogmanay/New Years from around 23.45 till around 00.30 in most cases. During this time all messages will be sent irrespective of your PAYG balance / account status... they then sort out the billing in a batch process afterwards.

There is always the small chance that people will spend more in SMS messages than they have, but the costs to the networks is so minute that it's worth this risk to reduce the load on the networks' billing platforms.
Anonymous

I sent most of my goodwill texts early but did send a few at midnight and they all seemed to be sent ok, maybe being on the 3G made a difference?