cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a second SIM replace my existing mobile number?

Patrick_Jane
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I have an O2 PAYM contract. I use the phone for work and personal use and I decided to buy a second SIM so I could have two numbers, one for personal use and one as a work number. 

After I ordered the second SIM something popped into my head. Some of the wording during the online ordering process (I was logged in to MyO2 at the time) suggested the number on the second SIM would replace my existing number and wouldn't be an additional number. In other words, I'd lose my existing number and it would be replaced by the number on the new SIM. 

This probably sounds really dumb but does anyone know if that could happen? I've tried calling O2 but can't through (yet).

Many thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Patrick_Jane 

It depends how you ordered.

If you just chose a new contract it will be an additional number, however, if you chose an upgrade, it will be a replacement.

What do your confirmation emails say?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Patrick_Jane
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the quick reply!

The confirmation emails don't actually mention whether this is a new contract or not. The deal I got as a "USWITCH Special". I was logged into MyO2 when I bought the deal via USwitch and the order system obviously recognised that because it brought up my existing account details as I placed the order.

The confirmation email I've got mentions a "new SIM" and shows the number associated with that new SIM. During the ordering process I had two options: "Upgrade" or "Get new number". I chose "Get new number" but there was something in the wording that suggested the new number would replace my old number. The confirmation emails mention a "new number" but there's no mention of upgrades or new contracts.

I didn't want to activate the new SIM and find it affected my existing number (which is still working BTW).

Many thanks

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Patrick_Jane 

Difficult to say tbh but if you check your MyO2 it should indicate if you have a new contract by showing both your old and new one http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4