Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Will O2 really blacklist my phone ?????

Hi, I recently purchased a Samsung Jet from Carphone Warehouse for my wife but she has now been given a phone with her new job. I was thinking of using my SIM (company contract on O2) with the phone but Carphone Warehouse said that O2 would blacklist the phone when they detected my SIM in the phone. They said that the phone had been supplied as a pay-as-go phone and I would have to buy a SIM free phone if I wanted to use it with my SIM. Carphone Warehouse charged me £200 for the pay-as-go phone but they say it would cost £375 for the same phone if I want to use my SIM. I can understand O2 charging less for a new customer but will they really blacklist the phone and cut it off like Carphone Warehouse are suggesting. Thank you for your advice.
Highlighted
Level 9: Fired up

I call ####!
The sales assistant is outright lying to you to try and push a sale. Don't accept it! Get his manager and tell him that you will now actively be choosing a differnt supplier because his colleague lied to you to get a sale.

O2 will NOT blacklist your wife's phone for putting your SIM in it.
First of all both SIMs are on O2, so no worry about network locking.
Secondly, the only thing that might need changing are the data/MMS settings (PAYG / contract).

I chop and change SIMs in the phones in this house with impunity. Networks don't blacklist phones just for having a rival's SIM in them. It depends on if the phone in question is network locked whether it will work or not.
They WILL blacklist a stolen phone.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Never heard such rubbish. O2 only blacklist phones that are stolen.

I've had my O2 contract SIM in three different phones over the past year
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for the info - the phone was purchased from O2 as pay as you go and I had to purchase a £10 top-up. The phone is unlocked but I want to keep it on O2 - just want to put my works contract SIM in it. Thinking about it though - why would anybody buy SIM free. Why not just buy pay-as-go because the prices are obviously cheaper (Carphone Warehouse quoted me £375 sim free but I paid £200 pay as go). Again, thanks for your help - SIM going in phone now!!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thinking about it though - why would anybody buy SIM free. Why not just buy pay-as-go because the prices are obviously cheaper..

I've bought several SIM-freee phones over the years.

Your argument relies on your chosen provider (o2 for example, actually offering the phone you want on PAYG). If you want a high-end phone, you're unlikely to get it on PAYG.

SV
Highlighted
Anonymous

Wow - thanks for all the advice - called by the shop this morning and told them what I thought. Amazingly, they refunded the phone under their returns policy. They stand by what they said about phones being blacklisted and said that the phone would not have been refunded if it had been SIM free. After the things I shouted in the shop I would never be able to go back there again - but I would never want to. Thanks everyone for the assistance. Will now buy phone direct from O2.
Highlighted
Anonymous

What rubbish! The only reason the phones are ever blocked are due to fraud of lost/stolen handsets.

Never heard such rubbish, classic from CPW.....