Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling/straight to voicemail

AGB24
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just switched to o2 specifically for wi-fi calling as we live in the country and get very spotty reception.

All set up and (probably) working, but when I call myself at home to test, it sometimes works and sometimes goes immediately to voicemail. When this happens I don't even get a missed call alert, just some text sent to me instead.

Presumably the wi-fi calling is either not working, intermittent or not very good... I'm sat at my desk next to my router with a solid 70mbps, it should be able to handle a call slight_smile

Anything I can check or test? Thanks

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144343 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@AGB24 

Make sure you have wifi calling set as priority and check it with phone in airplane mode with wifi enabled.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 21

AGB24
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Excellent suggestion re airplane mode, can't believe I didn't think of that slight_smile Just about to do a few tests now.

How do I set wi-fi as priority though?

Message 3 of 21

MI5
  • 144343 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@AGB24 

It will be a setting in calls or network settings.

On my phone, it is in sim and network settings.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 21

AGB24
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

From what I can see on Apple's help pages (it's an iPhone), there's no option - it should default to wi-fi if that's enabled and fall back to cellular if it doesn't have a strong enough wi-fi signal.

It also says that when wi-fi calling is available, it should say 'wi-fi' after the carrier name in the status bar. I've not seen this at all, so have to assume that despite it being switched on and enabled, it's not actually working at O2's end...

Airplane tests failed.

Message 5 of 21

AGB24
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just reading up further and it seems to be a common problem.

One guide I've just read says to go into airplane mode and then switch wi-fi on... this should kickstart wi-fi calling to work... but it hasn't worked for me.

For others' reference, the below is what you should see when you swipe down into control centre - o2 top-left followed by 'Wi-fi' written out - not just the symbol.

I'm just getting O2-UK and the icon, no 'Wi-Fi' 😞

I've tried disconnecting/reconnecting to wifi, switching airplane mode off and on... nothing. 

mac911-wifi-calling-enable-100841322-large.jpg

Message 6 of 21

MI5
  • 144343 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@AGB24 

On an iPhone you need to check you have iData enabled on your account and have wifi calling enabled.

Both of these need to be done by customer services.

You then have to turn on wifi calling in your MyO2.

wifi on.JPG

Currently using:
Message 7 of 21

AGB24
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yep, all enabled and showing as "You currently have WiFi and 4G Calling turned on." in MyO2

Message 8 of 21

MI5
  • 144343 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@AGB24 wrote:

Yep, all enabled and showing as "You currently have WiFi and 4G Calling turned on." in MyO2

@AGB24 

Means nothing if customer service haven't confirmed the first 2 steps I mentioned.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 21

AGB24
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, thanks. How do I check with them? I did go through the process of requesting wi-fi calling via My O2 and it took a day or so before the option was enabled on the phone.

Not heard of iData though...

Message 10 of 21