cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling from Abroad - Does it really Works!!!

BirSha
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I am using my phone out of EuroZone using Wifi calling, but I still keep getting charge.  I use iPhone 6 plus and in my settings, Mobile Data is off, Data Roaming is off and I am connected via wifi.  When I use my phone to ring home or when I receive calls I get charge for it.  On my phone it does shows local service provider name.  Has anyone come across this problem?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @BirSha

Wifi Calling does not work outside of the UK which would explain why you get charged. Though you should only be charged for the calls you make not the calls you receive.

If you are being charged for incoming calls I would check with Customer Services why

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

The best time to ring is between 8-8:30am to avoid a long wait on hold.

Hope the above helps.

Edited to add you can phone for free on +44 344 809 202 on your O2 mobile.

Good luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @BirSha

Wifi Calling does not work outside of the UK which would explain why you get charged. Though you should only be charged for the calls you make not the calls you receive.

If you are being charged for incoming calls I would check with Customer Services why

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

The best time to ring is between 8-8:30am to avoid a long wait on hold.

Hope the above helps.

Edited to add you can phone for free on +44 344 809 202 on your O2 mobile.

Good luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@BirSha the only way to avoid paying for incoming and outgoing calls would be to use a calling app over WiFi such as Skype, whatsapp etc. 

Details of expected O2 charges can be found here http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Charges outside the EuroZone are usually £2.00/minute for both making and receiving calls and texts 50p. Use an app over wifi such as WhatsAp or Messanger as long as the other person has the same app. That is completely free.

Message 4 of 7

BirSha
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply.  Although O2 has agreed to wave the charges it is annoying to see that I get charged for incoming calls which I reject and do not answer.  It is frustrating that one has to keep ringing customer services almost everyother day!!!

Message 5 of 7

BirSha
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you and I am aware of it.  O2 had Tu GO app which was really good but for whatever reason they got rid of it!!!

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@BirSha wrote:

Although O2 has agreed to wave the charges it is annoying to see that I get charged for incoming calls which I reject and do not answer.

That is because your voicemail is turned on so it is answering the call when you reject it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7