Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling - My EE account had it. My O2 account doesn't

PhilipOwen
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I live in a hilly area. It is Wales. Reception is terrible. I was previously using 3 but I bought an O2 card to test the signal (the O2 mast is nearer) and found a slightly better signal was available from O2. I am transferring my account from 3. However, 3 offered me a Wi-Fi solution. While my phone was connected to Wi-Fi I could make and receive telephone calls, even without a mobile signal.

It appears that the same services not available from O2. O2 offers a service called Wi-Fi calling, but is restricted to a small number of telephone models. My phone is a Philips V526 dual SIM using Android Lollipop and the 3 App operated on this phone without a problem. There appears to be no equivalent App for O2.

How do I solve the problem of very limited reception at my house. To get reliable reception I need to walk 50 yards. Does O2 offer a femtocell? Can it operate from a bedroom, where the signal is higher, rather than taking up space in my router? Maybe I should return to using 3? Although their signal is generally weaker in the whole area, when I remember to switch the App on, I get phone messages.

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
There is nothing for a normal consumer account from O2 unless you take one of the latest phones that can utilise wifi calling.
Business accounts can get a boostbox, but not regular consumers.
Stick to Three if the wifi app is important enough to you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
There is nothing for a normal consumer account from O2 unless you take one of the latest phones that can utilise wifi calling.
Business accounts can get a boostbox, but not regular consumers.
Stick to Three if the wifi app is important enough to you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@PhilipOwen O2 used to have an app called TuGo, which enabled the user to make and receive calls and send texts over WiFi, and, I believe, was used by tens of thousands or maybe more than that. So O2, in their wisdom decided to abandon that app and leave all those tens of thousands of people without the ability to use their phones over WiFi. Shrewd move.Spaced Stick with Three, as suggested, if you need to use your phone at home.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 4

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Tugo was useful in blackspots. Or you just wanted text quickly.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 4