cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi and 4G Calling

Anonymous
Not applicable

TL;DR: O2 says I have to upgrade my tariff in order to enable WiFi and 4G calling.

Hi, first time posting here.

I called Customer Services last night as I was having problems enabling WiFi and 4G calling on my iPhone X.

I'm on a sim only contract which is no longer avilable. I switched to this tariff after moving to the iPhone 7 after upgrading from an iPhone 4s, this was in 2015.

I was told by the CS rep (after he said he talked to their tech guys) that I would need to upgrade my tariff, as WiFi and 4G calling wasn't avilabe in 2015.

I was also told once I upgrade my tariff, I can't go back since it's no longer avilable. I'm a very light user, I don't use much minutes or data.

Something doesn't seem right here to me, was he right on what he said? I logged into My O2 on my iPhone X, and I can't click on WiFi and 4G calling.

Some extra info: I bought my iPhone 7 and X directly from Apple.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

TL;DR Yes, I do need to upgrade my tariff, and I did.

Hi, just a quick update on this: I remembered yesterday that I had the TU Go app on my phone, they no longer offer that service anymore. So I wanted to make sure it was completely disabled on my account, in case that was the issue. So I called Custom Services. 

They told me it wasn't on my account, but while I was on the phone i asked about WiFi and 4G Calling again, long story short, I just upgraded my tariff while I was on the phone.

I'm on a very low contract, it doesn't give me much at all 24 minutes/texts and 200MB data. Since I work from home though, a lot of my calls/texts are done through apps on my home Wi-Fi network. An hour later or so, I was able to turn on the setting for WiFi and 4G Calling.

I can't seem to mark this topic as solved on the Options. Does a moderator have to do it?

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If that’s what they’re saying I guess it must be right.
Most people on here have o2 phones and contracts so I’m not sure we’ve come across an X on an old simo tariff until now.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is 4G Calling a seperate toggle or do you get 4G calling if you enable 4G?

When i go to Settings > Mobile Data > Enable 4G I have that option.

The CS rep said I am enabled for 4G calling, unless he got mixed up. That's why this is very strange to me.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
WiFi and 4g calling go together although 4g calling is only available in certain areas currently.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think my best option is to pop into an O2 Store, and see what they say there. You don't need an appointment do you? If I do have to upgrade my tariff, I assume I can do that there also.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yeah, call in anytime and if they are remotely interested in helping you, they will do.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous welcome to our forum! slight_smile Please let us know how it goes at the store?

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marjo thank you. yes, I will give an update on the situation. I'd like to have WiFi calling because in the bedroom, the signal is hit and miss. I'd also like to pick up calls on my Mac sometimes.

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

TL;DR Yes, I do need to upgrade my tariff, and I did.

Hi, just a quick update on this: I remembered yesterday that I had the TU Go app on my phone, they no longer offer that service anymore. So I wanted to make sure it was completely disabled on my account, in case that was the issue. So I called Custom Services. 

They told me it wasn't on my account, but while I was on the phone i asked about WiFi and 4G Calling again, long story short, I just upgraded my tariff while I was on the phone.

I'm on a very low contract, it doesn't give me much at all 24 minutes/texts and 200MB data. Since I work from home though, a lot of my calls/texts are done through apps on my home Wi-Fi network. An hour later or so, I was able to turn on the setting for WiFi and 4G Calling.

I can't seem to mark this topic as solved on the Options. Does a moderator have to do it?

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Makes sense as it's another way to get people off the old tariffs.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10